reels and line

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by beakus, Jan 31, 2007.

1. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    question,why do we buy reels that hold 350yds of line when we use about 75yds of it?yha we break off a few times and loose some,then atleast once each year we strip off 200 yrds and restring our reels.

2. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Because we are Fishermen:big_smile:

3. davy51

davy51 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Pastor E is right we are fishermen

but basicly some of us fish for big fish when you hook a bigger one it can strip a lot of line of the reel

i myself never user stronger than 25puond line and if i hook a 40 pounder it has to be played and that involves some line to be let out

some of my longer casts are over 100 yds so on my bigger reels i need the extra capacity

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Well who wants to fill up there spool every night after fishing? I don't break off a lot on snags but if there is a nic in the line I'm removing it and a couple feet above it. That nic may be 5 yards or so up from the swivel. That all adds up fast.

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    just in case!!!

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    John I like large capacity reels (7000c3) because everytime I go fishing I intend to catch the fish of a lifetime. I choose to have the extra line rather than to be found without enough. When a fisherman hooks into his personal best the extra price of the longer line is not important.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Just in case u catch the big one lol.

8. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A reel will cast better when it is close to full line on the spool. I cut mine a lot while fishing due to nicks and rough spots in the line. I fish rivers with sand and rocks. As someone else said it don't take long to lose 50yrds of line.

9. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hope springs eternal. Deep down all fisherman have the fear of hooking the fish of a lifetime and having him spool the reel. If you have 300-350 yards of line for him to rip off, your odds go up in getting him to the bank.

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Perhaps the most helpless feeling I've experienced is to see that line getting down to where I see the spool on my reel, keeps spinning, then there is an ear-spitting craaack! as the line snaps and that fish is gone. :sad2:
    I have been spooled several times with big fish, so now I try to have all the line I can get on their, which is why I use powerpro braided on most of my reels. It's expensive, compared to mono, so on the large capacity reels, I back it up with mono, the the last 150 yards or so is braided. Every year or so, depending on the condition of the line, I will reverse it on the spool, thereby prolonging the life. I've been using the same line on a couple of reels for about 4 years now, and it's still good; I just cut some off the end as it gets damaged.
    I've got 4 refurbished Penn reels now to spool up, can't wait to try them out with the new teflon drag washers. :smile2:

11. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    beakus, This is one area that the type of reel willl make a difference. When using a Baitcaster, the Fullness of the spool does not effect the cast as such. Although, when using a Spinning reel and the spool is not at least to the edge of the spool, the line has more friction to come off. This will effectively limit the amount of line being casted out. With all of that being said, the comment that blackwaterkatz has made concerning the feeling of being spooled is a rough one. When you have a Baitcaster and it is not filled with enough line and you cast out, you do not have enough to play a Large fish that is taking line. On a Spinning reel, this is the same, but is more complicated as you have limited your casting range as well. This is all OPINON and I accept that others may think differently. Yet it is also mechanics!!!!

HOPPY4

12. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    It is true that most could do well with smaller reels. But, the bigger reels not only hold more capacity of line, but will allow for use of bigger lines better than a small spool reel. If I put 30 lb test on my Abu 5600C4, I've taken up a lot of capacity without much line. I want the larger line not only to horse fish out of timber, but to handle heavier weights when needed. But, I also want enough line on the spool to handle runs of larger fish. Besides, the difference in cost between a 6500C3 and 5500C3, for instance, is insignificant, so why not get the larger capacity reel?