Reels and braid

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by peewee williams, Feb 11, 2006.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have gone to large spinning and levelwind trolling reels and big mono,because I have very little feeling in my hands.I have a spool of 30 lb.braid that is .008 of a inch dia.I am afraid of cutting my hands if I use it.Any injurys are life threating,per my doctors.I now use small,short mono leaders,with these reels to fish for small fish.I do no casting.Is there a safe way for me to use this line on these reels?Would it be safe to use with spincast reels,such as old Zebco 808,888 and new Zebco SW888 & Johnson Maxxum?Any ideas out there?peewee-williams

2. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    PeeWee, at what point are you concerned about a cut? While casting? If so, I would assume on your thumb with the level wind reel? Only thing I can think of is to get you one of those rubber things you put over your thumb that people use to turn pages. (Like a thimble, but it's rubber and fits snuggly) If you are worried about getting cut when trying to get unsnagged, I carry a small piece of dowel rod in my tackle box. I wrap the line around the dowel a few times and pull. First time I wrapped braid a couple times around my hand and pulled I almost got a new nickname. (Lefty)
    Whatever you do, be careful.
    Rat

3. Environmentor

Environmentor New Member

State:
    Buffalo, Iowa
    Trying to pull out of that snag, huh! I typically only use 10 pound braided or less than 8 pound mono - so lighter lines easier to break. However, sometimes you run into a tight snag and good/durable line. I been cut by mono as well; however, that braided line burns through kind of like a laser cauterizing as it cuts - barely bleeding (at least this is what happens to me). I still don't carry a dowel when bank fishing, because I don't like to hardly carry any gear and my line is light - but this tip really works well (I carry a dowel on my boat). However, when I run into a snag I use my pole, then my hand, then if it is too tight I usually grab a sturdy branch remove the bark and use it like a dowel. If I used heavy line I would carry a dowel.

However, if you have no clotting factors and your bleeding don't stop I would recommend using a dowel. I would also recommend that rubber thumb thing. Why not wear waterproof neoprene gloves. Better yet, however, I would recommend using those new gloves that are cut resistant for use in the kitchen. I would be more afraid of getting my hand stuck with a hook, cut with fish teeth, or from some other typical fishing abrasion.

As far as reels go, you always hear that braided lines cut into reels and guides and you need "special" rods and reels. I fell for this line and bought a Spiderwire pole when I decided to try braided line (this ended up becomeing my favorite pole and I have went swimming for it a few times after it was pulled inot the lakes). However, I loved braided line and have put it onto many of my "regular" poles. In the last 4-5 years of using braid I have never had any damage to my reels or guides (HOWEVER - I could see getting the guts stripped out of reel if you don't have your drag set loose enough). I just use the right weight class line with the right weight class pole. For example I put my 2 pd. diameter/10 pd. braid on my middle weight poles for 10 pd. line NOT ON MY ULTRA LIGHT WHICH NEEDS 2 PD. LINE. Although it is thinner I don't use it on lighter poles. I pay no heed to diameter (except realizing that fish are less likely to see the thinner line in clear water). If you have problems with sensation then I would recomend using this sensitive braided line. It is amazing that with braided line you can feel the bottom substrate (rocks, gravel, sand, weeds, etc.). Furthermore, people always say "set the hook lighter" because of the low stretch. I set the hook just like it is mono. I don't agree with light hook sets - which I tried when I first used braid. I have never set the hook out of the fishes mouth by using fast strong sets - (so long as you are not crappie fishing). However, most of my lines are light and my poles are all micro-light, ultra-light, light, or medium with "fast action" tips. I would recommend trying braided line, just be careful with it. You can always switch back if you don't like it.

4. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Cut gloves are a good idea.The reason I ask these weird questions is I have a little feeling in my hands at times,but very seldom.Most of the time,I have to do things by looking at it.Much of the time,I have as much feeling for my reel or rod as I would have for yours,if I was watching you fish.I do have good days,and don;t wrap my fingers up in the reel.I cut the tip of my finger off(cooking collard greens),and tried for 4 hours to stop the bleeding.I gave up and went to the emergency room where it took them 2 1/2 hours.(best collards I ever ate)I get a nick and then spend 5 to 12 weeks,going to the wound center in Savannah Ga.to get it healed.I got a Fire Ant bite and lymphoma jumped in.I now have a scar that makes me look like Jaws came for dinner.I also have several bad things wrong with me.All my doctors want me to do is nothing.I try to ask about and think of every way possable to do things.I am going to DO IT when I can,but I am going to try to avoid that trip to Savannah.Does anyone know if braid will work on a Zebco 888?I can still cast one of them a little.Thanks everyone.peewee-williams

5. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Peewee, if I rememeber right, a member of this board used braid in a 888 or something very close to it. It's been a long time, but I'm pretty sure. His user name was JPB. I'll contact a few folks and see if I'm remembering right or off track.
    We'll get you taken care of one way or another.
    Rat

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    By the sound of it, that idea on the Kevlar gloves might be something you would want to wear for lots of things other than just fishing.

I carry an alluminum dowel for when I need to pull the line from a snag. It will save your hands, thats for sure. NEVER use your rod and reel to pull a snag free when using braid. I have seen damage in the past on my rod's that didn't have ceramic guides. That was just from regular use, not from pulling out of snags.

I do not see why you couldn't use braid on most any reel, including those you mentioned. However, expect the life of the reel to shorten. If the 888 has a "pin" that catches the line, like the 33's, then that would be the first thing to wear out.

7. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    If hemophilia is the main concern here, you might ask your doctor is having mega-doses of vitamin K on hand would be of use. May even ask if they can prescribe an injectable form for you. (Don't know if the injectable is even available via prescription...but its the standard 'first step' that ER use alot of times). Other than that, the gloves seem like a good idea. Maybe even try a pair of snug fitting leather gloves, waterproof the heck out of 'em and see if they'll work. Another idea (don't know if I'm even too keen on this one) is that they make some type of powder for livestock...Styptic Powder I think...it could help too, but I'm sure you're doc would have a fit.

8. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I take blood thinners for my heart,have lymphoma and I am a diabetic.My wife just informed me that I spent 26 weeks,of last year,going once or twice a week,to Wound Care at Candler hospital in Savannah.I had a fire ant bite keep growing.After the second time they cut on it,I looked like JAWS had fed on me.I get a scratch and it takes weeks,with special care to heal.If I don;t go,it just gets bigger and bigger.This is why I am looking for any and all ideas.People ask me to fish,but I am very seldom able.I want to make the best of it when I get a chance.It is getting very hard for me to figure things out or learn anymore.I need all the help that I can get.Thanks,peewee-williams

9. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I sent a question to Zebco via.E-MAIL.Question-"Are any of your 808,s or 888,s made to handle 30 lb.,.008 dia.braided line to fish with?" Answer-"You can use 30 lb. braid on our new 808,but it will be hard on the spinnerhead over time." This is for anyone who might be interested.