Reels.....a question of preference.

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Illini Whisker Hunter, May 14, 2018.

1. Illini Whisker Hunter

Illini Whisker Hunter Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Dave Grindstaff
    So......Abu Garcia's, 7000 C3 and 7000 C.....not fond of them at all. Now before you lambast me for my views, I fish the Mississippi and Illinois Rivers from Alton to Pearl, and have caught bigens, and wee ones, and have tried many a rod and reel. Truth be told until a year ago I fished with spinning reels and never tried a bait caster......but now I'm hooked. So what you ask rivals the Almighty Abu line of pricy showy mega reels? Simple....whatever you are willing to put your faith in, and your catch on. For me two reels stand out, the Ming Yang CL 60' s do a really adequate job of bringing in almost anything I can hook into....and then some. Then for my own personal fav, I find the Catmaxx reels to be a real workhorse in the big rivers. Small in size, but big in the casting and retreval areas, they are more than sufficient for any hog I can hook into. As with most things in life, sometimes all that glitters the brightest is not gold.

2. HaskelCat

HaskelCat Well-Known Member

State:
    KY
    Though I love my Abus, I have three Ming Yangs and I love them too. Never had a problem with them at all.

3. HaskelCat

HaskelCat Well-Known Member

State:
    KY
    I also have a Catmaxx, and you’re right that reel holds up to anything

4. Illini Whisker Hunter

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Dave Grindstaff
    Two months ago I purchased a Whisker Seeker 9'6" rod and a Abu Garcia 7000 C3 Catfish reel to complete what I thought would be the perfect set up, however as I stated......I was not fond of the reel. The rod was fantastic and once I paired it with a Catmaxx reel, I was happy. Oh I still have 2 7000 C Abu's on my Big Cat Fever rods, but even those I would gladly swap for Catmaxx or CL 60 reels. Just my preference as I stated earlier.

5. Khh27

Khh27 Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Kyle harlan
    What did you not like about them?

NW Corner and Fishbones like this.
  6. django

django Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    clint
    I hooked what I believe to be a large flat last year and it headed towards a wood pile. I could not horse it out with my catmaxx. It actually stripped my reel. Id gladly take an Abu 7000 at that time. Now I do like the catmaxx for channel cats and smaller fish but not for what happened that day.

bearcat, OkSixpack, NW Corner and 2 others like this.
  7. Illini Whisker Hunter

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Dave Grindstaff
    I hear ya.......the Abu's i have combined with the BCF rods feel like you could horse just about anything with ease. Maybe thats my issue with the reels (and heavy rods), the fight becomes so minimal only the poundage of the fish matters. I mean give me a 8' Silver Cat rod and CL 60 reel and let the fight begin, the fight is the sport.

8. django

django Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    clint
    I had it on a tiger rod. The reel was just no match for that fish.

OkSixpack likes this.
  9. Illini Whisker Hunter

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Dave Grindstaff
    I also use some of the smaller Okuma reels...Cold Waters, and Convector 20's ....both have tugged some 20+ pound hogs from the Illinois River currents.

OkSixpack likes this.
  10. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I have 4 Abu 6500's and recently bought my first 7000 series, I love them and far better then an reel I've had in the past. To each their own as I always say.

bearcat likes this.
  11. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER Active Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Name:
    put first name
    I had a large flathead do the same thing to a 6500 once. I tightened the drag all the way trying to turn him and the 15lb drag was no match for that fish. He made it to the log jam anyway. Wouldn't even slow him down

HaskelCat likes this.
  12. Illini Whisker Hunter

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Dave Grindstaff
  13. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Beastly Backlash and Catpaw like this.
  14. Beastly Backlash

Beastly Backlash Well-Known Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    I love Avet reels.

The MXL is an excellent reel, as is the SX.

I currently own the SX G2 and HXW Raptor, but I have owned the original MXJ, MXL, MXL Raptor, and SX in the past.

Personally, if using braid, the SX G2 is perfect for all catfishing needs. It has cranking power, cranking speed, an excellent drag, and excellent castibility. If you are good with your thumb, save the money and skip the MC.

I will say, though, that the MXL Raptor was awesome and I wish I didn't sell it. It was the ultimate big cat lever drag in my opinion.

riverbud55 and HaskelCat like this.
  15. Chop1

Chop1 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Name:
    Chad
    I've never had much luck with the abu reels either. I know they must be good reels, I just got some lemons I guess. The penn reels I have now have been all that I could ask for. Also, the two convector 30s have done really well on the big ones, just not quite as smooth as the penn reels.
    The biggest factor in catching big fish is finding and hooking them, something I hope to do this saturday. Water has been really high all year, I got the fever!

Zigarro, SteveMcK, riverbud55 and 2 others like this.
  16. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
  17. Josey1965

Josey1965 Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Josey
    Well...to me...abus ain't all that pricey for what you get.

You get a solid reel with a long history of performance.

I have reels that cost well over 300 bucks and I still love my abu Garcia 6500c3's. They are that good and they are that solid performers.

There is no question about what you are buying....it is just a damn good reel for the money.

I use a lot of spinning reels....I like Penns. That is my favorite. They might not be the smoothest....they might not be the cheapest...but they are solid and they work and I can depend on them to do their jobs.

I have about 16 rod and reel rigs....all of my spinning reels are penns...absolutely all of them. I have a lot of baitcasters....almost all of them are Abu's....I do have a couple Okumas and a penn....

You do tend to get what you pay for but there is a lot of room for things in that space....

I will never spend more than 350 bucks for a reel...I see no need to do so. I'd love to have the Shimano Tranx 500 but at 400 bucks....that is just not going to happen anytime soon.

HaskelCat likes this.
  18. Illini Whisker Hunter

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Dave Grindstaff
    I do have good luck with the Okuma cold water reels.

19. Illini Whisker Hunter

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Dave Grindstaff
    I was thinking the same thing. It's fishing for God' sake,

Fishbones likes this.
  20. D schuerenberg

D schuerenberg Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri. Matthews
    Name:
    D SCHUERENBERG
    Hi I am Denny I am a gear junkie mostly Abu a few Penn's help

django, Fishbones and HaskelCat like this.