Reeling down

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Bad_fisherman21, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Bad_fisherman21

Bad_fisherman21 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Ive tried reeling down with circles but havent goten a hook up this way how exaxtly do you "reel down"

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Leave the rod in the holder and reel until the rod is loaded good. Then you can take it out and set the hook a little if you feel you need to.

3. tswebb71

tswebb71 Member

State:
    So. IL
    Honestly Ryan, I don't know about "reeling down". Unless there is slack in the line I don't see a need to reel down. To me that is no different that setting the hook, which is a no no with circles. you just need to be patient with the circles and wait till rod loads up. It can be a little mind numbing at first, especially if you are used to setting the hook. Just be patient and WAIT even when everything in you tells you to grab and jerk!!

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Just throw them away and go with the sickle hook, then ya don't have to worry about it....:wink: :big_smile_2:

5. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Check out some of Jeff Williams videos, you'll see them use that technique often. Certainly works for them.

I haven't been a big fan of circles, but it's all about timing. One thing, if whatever you're doing is working no reason to change.

Shawn

6. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I honestly don't understand all the talk about not setting a circle hook. I have used octopus circles for a few years now and have never felt I lost a fish because of the hook. I use them because the hook always sets in the corner of the mouth which allows the fish to be released in perfect condition. I only bank fish using 12' rods, and I guarantee if the fish is big enough and I see the rod bending half way to the ground, the fish is on. It sounds like you are dealing with smaller fish which peck around and drive you nuts. I get them too and I don't really care if I hook them or not. I guess what I am saying is that if the fish is big enough to get excited about, I don't think the type hook matters. Good luck.