reelfoot lake

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by drpepper, Sep 3, 2008.

1. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've been there a few times it's been a while ago though.
    I rented a boat that had an inboard briggs and stratton (5 hp I think) it had a shaft exited the stern of couse with a prop on the outside... anybody seen these type of boats? What are they? I think they would be idea for fishing my small shallow river... any info on these boats would be appreciated alot.

Also... how's flathead fishing in reelfoot? Channelcat fishing is awesome, but I don't hear anything about flatheads... seems like it would be flathead heaven.

Thanks

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Back in Louisiana we call these boats "stumpjumpers" or "mud boats"..They are used to get into shallow water and marshes that are full of stumps and sunken trees..I've never fished Reelfoot before but I've heard a lot about it..I hear there are a lot of stumps and sunken trees and debris hence the reason why they use "stumpjumper" boats there..You are correct that the most abundant species is the channel but my understanding is yes they do have flatheads in there too..I'm sure someone will come along soon and give us some more info on Reelfoot..

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    yep, I searched "stumpjumpers" and sure 'nuff there they were! Thank you for the help.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    A couple of common (brand?) names for them are mudbug and go devil.

5. jdward

jdward New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    I've spent a lot if time at reelfoot fishing and hunting and I have fished out of the same boats you are refering to. Its like a canoe with a motor. Up there they call em reelfoot lake boats and the only guy I know that makes em up there is a guy named Calhoun. He makes all kinds of other stuff too like cypress paddles, push poles ect.

6. jdward

jdward New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    Also, I have never caught a flathead at reelfoot, but that isn't saying much. I did however catch more channels than I've ever caught in my life one night using frozen crickets on trotlines.

7. crappietime

crappietime New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro Tennessee
    Yeah they are the old Calhoons boat.We got some of the old original ones they had along time ago up there.TWRA was going to burn them and had them piled up and we got our hands on some to make shadow boxes out of to sell in our taxidermy shop.We kept one and redone it all we like is getting a motor for it and mounting it on and we will have one of the original.There is a place in Franklin Tn that does a remake on them but installs an outboard with more hp.I will take some pics in the morning of the one we redone and post them on here to show you and make sure it is what you are talking about. I been looking for a 10 or 12hp motor with electric start to put on it. I have hunted many ducks out of them boats and you can get in some shallow water.

8. rcjoyner

rcjoyner New Member

State:
    tn
    there have been several boat builders at reelfoot - bruster walton - the calhoons - dale calhoon passed recently - don't know if any builders remain.

with the advent of slip clutches in outboards instead of shear pins many have started using outboards with jon boats.

9. crappietime

crappietime New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro Tennessee
    Just thought I would offer a picture of the past of a boat we been restoring for this year in duck season.It is the old Calhoon boat we got at Reelfoot.This is one of the first ones that was actually built there and used by a duck guide that was there for along time.All I need to do now is find a motor to mount on it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Puddin Head

Puddin Head New Member

State:
    Grenada Lake, Ms
    I live at Reelfoot Lake and there are people that live here that still use the ''lake boat''. Mr. Calhoon died a while back, but his son will build special order boats, there still at the same place.
    After sitting all day in those things you can't walk upright for a couple days....or heard anything either. lol
    There are some flatheads in Reelfoot, but mostly channel's, and lots of there.
    Reelfoot is the most under rated catfish lake in the country. If you like one to five pound channel catfish, this is it.
    You can catch all you want to clean on YO-YO's, I'm talking ''coolers'' full, and bring two fillet knife's, let one cool while using the other...lol.

Puddin Head