Reelfoot Lake Info.

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by strutncut68, Mar 4, 2008.

1. strutncut68

strutncut68 New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Me and some guys from work want to fish reelfoot lake for about a week in the next month or so. I was just wondering if any of you could share some of your experences and opions of the lake. Thanks

Bryan

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Welcome Bryan, We have been going there for awhile, 10+ years, stay at Cypress Point on South side, any way, I would suggest doing what you know and find a local or two they can tell you what is "on" at the time your going. I know this isn't really what you were looking for, just over the years I have found a call a few days before we head down has been the best, in the early season we hit the south side around Swan Basin pretty hard pulling jigs and grizzly rigs on the crappie, some tipped with minnow some not, have had a lot of fish over the years on smaller road runners my self...... I know if you search the lake you can get a few different good up to date reports from the local fisherman, post your own report after your trip please, give me an idea for the trip this spring :wink: Good Luck there, I hope you hit it just right, light stain in the water and worm days!!!!!!
    Randy

Oh yea, if your going with a package deal for a week or so, shop around, you will find better deals with different places.....and if your deciding to take your boat or get one one a package, my suggestion would be to use theirs! save your lower unit as that lake can and will eat a few a year :wink:

3. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Up until a couple of years ago, my dad and I would go there every year. We would get the 4 day/4 night fishing package at Cypress Point. We stayed at a couple other places over the years, but they were not nearly as nice. Reelfoot is an interesting lake. It can be tough to find a pattern, but once you do, the fishing can be spectacular.

It used to take us a day or two to find a pattern that worked for us. We hired a guide one time that taught us a ton about the lake in one day. My dad complained about hiring a guide, but it paid dividends over the years.

I agree with Randy - get the package and use their boat. Be careful!!! You can hit stumps everywhere, even out in the middle of the lake. A few years back we saw a couple of guys from Kentucky loading their boat. They had been catfishing all night in their FIBERGLASS boat. When they put it on the trailer, the hull looked like someone had taken a baseball bat to it. It is a wonder it didn't sink!

BTW - depending on the time of year, a lot of people fish the standing cypress trees. If you have a depthfinder, find the submerged trees/logs and you should have better luck.

4. mperry

mperry Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Bryan
    I have been to Reelfoot several times and it mostly depends on the weather. Been there before and hit it just right and some years could not get a bite. Reelfoot is shallow and if the wind is blowing it can get pretty nasty. We usually stay at Bluebank and fish just to the south of it. Again just depends on the weather. If it warms up and stays that way just find some cyprus and you can do pretty good.
    Mike

5. strutncut68

strutncut68 New Member

State:
    mississippi
    Thanks alot guys. I live in the promise land when it comes to fishing, and never have gone anywhere before, but some guys at work came up with the idea so i jumped on the wagon with them.

P.S. Mike, it just snowed on B-lake today and your guess is as good as mine about the fishing. Hell, it jus don't snow in Mississippi!!!!!! Me and my son will be at the lake on the 21st and we'll go from there. Hey, ya'll like boiled crawfish don't you?

6. mperry

mperry Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bryan you'll love reelfoot. Full of stumps so be careful. I've never had my boat in it and probably never will. We have about 6 to 8 inches of snow right now and more on the way for today. Never had crawfish before. Taste like chicken?????????:wink:

7. bowhunter6925

bowhunter6925 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good luck on your trip to Reelfoot. I have fished this lake many times over the years. I live about an hour away, but don't get to fish much, due to work.:angry: Every day is a crap shoot to see what the fish are hitting. No matter what you do, make sure to talk to some of the locals at the lake. Over the years, I have learned that the fish will turn of at daybreak and will generally quit by 10 or 11. If you are lucky, they will pick back up again about 2 untill dark.
    As

8. bowhunter6925

bowhunter6925 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good luck on your trip to Reelfoot. I live about an hour away from there, and have fished there for crappie many times over the years. Unfortunately, work has since gotten in my way of fishing :angry:. No matter what you do, make sure to talk to some of the guys that fish the lake daily. This lake changes from one hour to the next. Over the years, I have learned that at Reelfoot, the fish usually start at daybreak and turn off at about 10 or 11. Later on in the afternoon, they may start back up about 2 if you are having a good day. :big_smile:

As far as the boat, no matter what you do, DO NOT GO FAST!!!!!! I have seen "foreigners" tear up many boats and motors, because they tried to follow one of us "locals" across the lake. I don't get to fish much there anymore, but the runways are still pretty much the same. Even we hit a rogue stump once and a while, especially last summer when the lake was down about 6 feet. You could almost walk across the lake without even getting your feet damp.

One of the places that I enjoy to fish is the beds out from Bo's Landing by the Armory. You can also jig around the Cypress stumps that are out past Bo's. Another place is Grey's Camp and Champey's Pocket. The water is not deep, so be very careful. The max depth is generally 5-6 feet. Look for submerged stumps and carefully troll over them with crappie rigs. The local bait shop should be able to tell you if they are hitting on shiners or rosey reds.:wink:

Good luck, and let us know how the trip goes.

9. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    fished the south side last weekend and caught 74 and 41were keepers useing crank baits. the fish where loaded with eggs. and also caught 6 keeper bass the biggest was 6lb5oz:cool2: