Reelfoot fishin trip

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by J.BENKE, Jan 30, 2007.

1. J.BENKE

J.BENKE New Member

State:
    murray, KENTUCKY
    i'll be goin on a fishin trip to reelfoot lake for spring break and was wondering if any of the locals had some tips,tricks or advice, i know that it a little early to be gettin ready but i guess i cant be too prepared. thanks for any replies.

2. jonnnyboy

jonnnyboy New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    J. Welcome to one of the most beautiful lakes in God's creation. When is your spring break as that will dictate what you can fish for and how to catch em. Early spring will find the crappie moving toward the banks with the catfish starting too. April is the time to beat the banks, but for the locals trollng the 3-4 foot depth really puts the fish in the boat. Also, a piece of cutbait will really begin to pick up the channels. If it turns out to be a really warm day with little wind, watch out and put your seatbelt on! Later on in May is when the bluegill turn on. Like I said, let us know approximate date and something will be biting. Also, keep checking back closer to the time and we'll try to clue you in.

jonnnyboy

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jacob you are in for a treat. Reelfoot can be a trip of a life time. What species of fish are you going to be fishing for? Do you plan on useing a guide? Are you trying to put meat in the freezer or just have fun? You might want to look up the Reelfoot Lake web site and see what is available. Plan your trip well and you will have a great time. Best of Luck on your choises.:big_smile:

4. larkin

larkin New Member

State:
    Almo Ky
    Hey guys, I am going to be going with him on spring break. Our spring break is the first week of April. We aren't planning on doing any species specific fishing yet, but if there would be one type better than another I will focus more towards those fish. I would really like to tear into some crappie at least on one day, but I would also like to catch some catfish and bass too. Any information would be useful. Thanks in advance guys.:smile2:

5. J.BENKE

J.BENKE New Member

State:
    murray, KENTUCKY
    we wont be lookin to put meat in the freezer but i would like to have enough to eat a nice shore-lunch, other than that we will be fishin for fun. and i dont think we're gonna take a guide, but thats not set in stone.

6. jonnnyboy

jonnnyboy New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to Heaven in West Tennessee. The first week in April, we will be looking at the dogwoods and checking their blooms. For some reason the crappie spawn strong at the same time the dogwoods are in full bloom. Best bet would be 3-4 foot of water trolling for the crappie about to bed. Second guess would be a good 12-14 foot pole with a 1/16 ounce jig and chartreuse and black skirt. Drop that jig around everything you see and hold on! Third thing I would do is move slowly down the banks casting an ole'style beetle spin to the bank and slow rolling back to the boat. If these don't get you some fish then there is something bad wrong somewhere!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

7. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I liked to fish Reelfoot by drifting the lower blue basis. We used a drift sock and 3 way rig with cut shad, liver and and leeches.