reel ?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by gatortail, Jan 25, 2008.

1. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I am wanting to by some new reels and i was looking on the disc they all have a line lb and a line yd is that all theyll take and what would yall recommend:big_smile:

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You can put heavier line on reels than what is stated, they just wont hold as much..I have used 40-lb test before on abu 6500, which are only rated to 14-lb test.

3. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    If you use braided line you can get just as much if not more high strength line on your reel.
    I run 65# on a 20# rated rhino reel with no problems. I think the 65# diameter braid is equivilent to 16# mono, so that means more line on the reel.

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    It all depends on what you are going to be fishing for. If your just looking for some channelcat reels, you can go fairly light. But if your wanting to go for the larger blues or maybe flatheads you need a larger reel with heavier lines. What are you going to be targeting?

5. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Big blues Ive got 2 quantam 20s and a tw30 by shakspears but do not have alot of faith in them

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i use 100# power pro on abu 7000s its same size as 20# mono:0a26:

7. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    do they have alot of problems or do u have to do drag upgrades.Im not worried of the cost Im trying to upgrade.And on the braided line does it slip on the spool? thanks for your help:cool2:

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    This reel in combination with a good rod...can handle anything you hook into!!!!
    :cool2:

9. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Thats what i like about this place good info great people thanks