reel weight capacity

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Motopro00, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    I was looking for a new reel and not sure how much the weight capacity's play into things? Abu 6500 c3 is only good up to 11.3 ounce. I use bigger sinkers than that. I know everyone uses them but don't know how to read into this?

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The 11.3 oz is what the scale weight is if you placed it on a scale. It is the weight you hold in your hand. It has nothing to do with limitations. If you add the reel, line, and rod weight together it equals the total weight you are holding. I hope this helps.

3. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    OH make's since now. :big_smile: Thank you mikey!

4. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Just my opinion,but if your casting over 11 ozs of weight on a regular basis,you might want to go with a reel a bit larger than the 6500.

5. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    I think i am going with a Shakespeare Arsenal AR15AL. Cheaper price wise but holds lots of line. Plus I am bank fishing so I am in mud and sand and want to wait for a boat to get nicer gear.

6. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    As Mickey stated, the 11.3 oz. has nothing to do with reel limitations. This only indicates how much the reel weighs. If you are casting sinkers over 11 oz. from the bank, I hope you have a beast for a rod. Good luck.

7. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    Well as of right now. I have a Berkley 8' Glow stick casting. I use that much weight and more when I go out on a boat with a couple friends in the current. When I got out on wing dikes I also use that much or more.