Reel Upgrades

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by rcbbracing, Oct 12, 2009.

1. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Okay i have an old bcx i channel cat fish with that i dont really care if it gets messed up cuz i can buy cheap sideplates so its my test subject. I want to remove the red anodizing on the sideplates and powdercoat it a different color. We have the powder coating equipment and i dont have any questions about that...my question is does anyone know how to remove the anodizing semi quickly without hurtin the aluminum underneith...i could sandblast it but itll prolly gouge the aluminum, i could wetsand it off but thatd take forever...I was told oven cleaner on the anodizing and through in the oven but didnt know if that would warp the sideplates...Thought maybe someone had done this before or atleast would have some insight for me...also any ideas on colors? Im thinking translucent blue chrome...If this test subject comes out good im gonna do the same to my new 7000i's when i buy them this spring....thanks in advance guys!

2. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    That sounds awesome... I'd like to hear more as well

Ken

3. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Im gonna take the side plates off tonight and talk to my old man tomorrow....im hoping to have an answer for ya in a few weeks....this isnt my highest priority lol....But let me know what you other guys think!

4. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
  5. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    lacquer thinner should do it. I have a paitn gun that got all clogged and soaked it in thinner and all the blue just came off easy as could be. Keep us posted!

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'd try aluminum brightner,Its a mild acid that will remove most any stain on Al. it neutralizes with water and is available at most auto parts stores.

7. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My old man owns his own auto body repair shop, thats how i have access to this stuff. I worked with him for like three years too so i know some stuff. But laqueur thinner wont touch it...believe it or not...Anodizing is like a chemical etching and i guess from my research it needs acids to break it down. I read it can be sanded off but takes hours and hours...I dont mind doing that but would like to find a way my fellow boc members could do this fast and cheap. I also read that about the oven cleaner and i really appreciate the research...only issue i have is...aluminum melts at 1400 degrees farenheit and it would need to be 500 degrees in the oven. Have you ever had the side plate off a bcx? There are amazingly thin...i mean i wouldnt want to drop the bcx in my asphalt driveway its so thin lol...I am pretty sure and my old man agrees that five hundred degrees would warp the side plates. And lets be honest, if its not perfectly smooth...whats the point of changing colors to pretty it up...Keeping ideas a flowing. I actually took it all apart tonight and cleaned and detailed and oiled it for the year. It wasnt hard at all to take apart, so when i do this it should be quick and easy...thanks again guys!

8. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Hio....this may win the stupid stick award, but one never knows.....I watched an auto show, where they blasted off the paint, primer to bare metal with baking soda....non-toxic, cheap, and it may work. I have absolutely no idea what the end surface would be like, but it cannot be as pitted as sand would have been....

9. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    See thats where our problem lies...its not paint or primer...its anodizing...so its gonna be completely different. I had a thought though...If its gonna warp to bake the anodizing off then how am i going to cook on the powder coat? Guess the whole idea is kinda down the tubes guys..im sorry. I did pull it all back apart and convert it for long casts...it now has no levelwind and i added a powerhandle(extra handle from an old reel i had lying around) I am gonna put it on a eight foot medium action down rigger rod i have...and if she casts like the champ i expect her to be i might just hand sand the powdercoating off AND airbrush and clear coat it...Already looks pretty sweet minus the levelwind...after i make sure it all worked im gonna post the conversion on here...I found it on a striper sight and it wasnt too hard at all to do... well what do you all think of my recent problems, ideas, and completions?

10. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Try so JB non-embedding bore cleaning compound. It works great for a lot of things I used it to smooth out a stiff 870 pump. You can try it by hand or maybe a dremal and a buffing wheel. You should be able to rub it right off with it. It is a fine grit that should get it off and leave a shine too.

11. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Some time ago, when I contacted an anodizing company, they said to remove old anodizing and colour with "Scotch-Guard". This product comes in very fine grits down to I think 1500, so it should not pull too much aluminum with it, if used.

Another idea may be a cotton buffing wheel charged with emery compound, then jewellers' rouge to shine things back up.

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Why not just paint or powdercoat over the anodizing,,,

13. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    for the powder coat to adhere it needs ot be statically charged...it wont work if there is already a surface layer weather it be pain powder or anodizing...as for the paint...i might just have to check into that idea...i dunno if i could rough up the anodizing and just paint over...awesome ideas guys thanks!

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I may be wrong,But I was of the opinion that anodizing was like oxiditation? Similar to blueing steel. if it is most anything should stick to it I'd just rough it up with a very fine grit emery cloth.

15. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    If that lye, or over cleaner don't do it when its not hot, then amonia might.

16. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I don't know if it will do exactly what you want, but I do know that dish washer liquid will remove anodizing. I seen it happen when someone used it to clean a bathtub and took the gold off of the sliding shower doors, in the areas that it touched.

17. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I have used oven cleaner to remove it from Earl fittings on my engine. I just sprayed it on good and let it sit for a feew hours came back and washed them good then I took a red scotch brite pad and it it good to get the last little bits and pieces.

18. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Okay, i was curious abou this...and this is how u make it sound. Does that mean you didnt have to put it in the oven to cook the anodizing off? The over cleaner just takes it off normal room temp then? If thats the case itd be amazing!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  19. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Oven cleaner is nasty stuff all by itsself. No need to put it in the oven. Just let it set for a bit. Shouldn't take very long at all.

20. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    The oven cleaner did the job, they said to spray it on let it set for about 5-15 mins and then wipe clean. Well I put it on and let it set longer since I was doing over things. The scotch brite pad was to work the surface a little, in a few places there were some areas that still looked as if it had a coating on it. When it was coming off it looked like chemical stripping car paint.