Reel trouble

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by kingdawes, Jul 30, 2007.

1. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have an old zebco that I use to catch blue gill for bait. Some times when I cast it will cast about 10' then the latch will catch. This is seriously frustrating. I was just wondering if anybody knew why this happed

2. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.

3. polecatter

polecatter Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Chris, sometimes when the old Zebco spincast reels are low on line they will act that way. Maybe you just need to re-spool?

4. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    It's a zebco 404 actually fairly new. I bought it as a combo. it would work for small cats. But because of its functionality I use it for smaller bait fish. I just relined when I got it. I line it with 20lb test that all I had. Do you think maybe thats the problem

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yep, your either low on line or line is being pulled into the line on the spool, causing it to bind. Think I'd put some 8 or 10 lb test line on it and see what happens.

6. polecatter

polecatter Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Chris, It could very well be the problem. 20lb test seems quite heavy for that particular reel. I would re-spool with no more than 10lb test if it were me, even though it may have came with 15lb test according to the combo I saw advertised. You can catch some very nice channel cat with 10lb line.....even 8lb test, and your reel will cast considerably better with the lighter test line. Hope you get your problem resolved.

7. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I found the problem. Silly me put too much line on the thing. I got it working like I want it to and casting like it was made to cast.

Here's one for you though, I finally get the reel working then I slammed the #@$% rod in the car door. First time I went set the hook on a fish after that the tip broke right off. I just cut the rod to the next eye and went on with it! Have to get another rod eventually.

Its like papaw alway said,"pay attention to what you're doing son." one day I will get it.