Reel to match

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by KingKAt35, Jul 6, 2006.

1. KingKAt35

KingKAt35 New Member

State:
    Kansas City Missouri
    I have a Cabelas Kingkat 9ft casting rod. Looking for a good inexpensive reel to match up to it. Any ideas.

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Perfect reel would be a Shakespheare Tidewater reel. They sale them at Wal-Mart for $40 and they are excellent for the money, they cast pretty good also.

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I have heard great things about these reels. For the price it will be hard to beat if you are looking for inexpensive. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

4. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I would have to go with the others on this one too. A tidewater is a really nice inexpensive reel for that rod. Nice loud clicker, and it casts great too. You may also want to try a Penn 220 if you can afford it. Hope this helps :big_smile:

5. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    that penn 220gto is a awsome reel I haven't caught any big cats on it yet but I have pulled some large logs off the bottom of the lake a few times and this reel is a winch it's twice the reel my abu 6000's are as for winching but don't get me wrong the abu's are great I can get a better cast from the abu but I think thats because I'm used to useing it but I got the 220gto from catfish connection for $55 I'm thinking about getting another someday
    Trevor

6. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    i would go with a abu 6000 for 60.00 its a great reel and you are getting a reel thats known for it durability. and performance for a number of years.

7. bigred

bigred New Member

State:
    indiana
    i would go with the abu 6000 at wal mart for $60

8. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'd go wiuth the Abu 6000 if you can afford it. If not I'd go for the tidewater. Also Welcome to the BOC!

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Ditto on the tidewaters for the money youcan not go wrong

10. KingKAt35

KingKAt35 New Member

State:
    Kansas City Missouri
    Tidewater wins Ill look into those. Can they handle abuse. Kinda want a lil durability as well.

11. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    then you want an abu garcia. no questions ask

12. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    The abu is a true workhorse.

13. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Abu Garcia 7000, the $99 price tag might be out of Your range BUT it is cheap when Ya realize with a little care (cleaning and lube) you will pass it down to Your kids. Is $99 really that much for a lifetime of fishing????

14. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know where you can get Abu 6000's for $31.99 plus shipping. And I've bought prop a dozen reels off this guy & non are prob, in fact 5 minutes ago UPS dropped off 4 more from him! :lol: PM me if anyone wants detaisl.

15. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dang my guy has 6000's for $28. Thats a deal I cant pass up.

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just bought another new reel it arived today, it's the 2006 abu6500, it has the updated drag, and better level wind, and it looks different really nice looking reel.

17. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    ABU 6000 all the way. You can get it for $30 on ebay used.

18. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Go with the garcia or the tidewaters... both are great reels. If you want something durable... I have a 4500 garcia that my grandpa passed to my dad who passed it to me... Amazing reel and built to last with a little lube and tender love... I have put this reel through the wars and it comes out strong, I have never had a problem with Garcia's at all... GOod luck buddy and welcome to the BOC