Reel Tension Question

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Spider, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    After losing a rod & reel the other summer, I'm wondering what the best way is to set up after you cast. I've been releasing the spool (since that day) and placing a small stone on the line to keep line from being pulled from the spool. This reel has no clicker so there is no tension on the line at all. I'm wondering if after I cast I should tighten up the tension knob some to add restistance so if something does take the line it doesn't backlsh the reel and again steal my rig.
    Seeing $150+ disappearing into the water is real depressing, to say the least.
    My second rig has a clicker so I learned something.....:confused2:

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I usually just put them in rod holders. With the rods up in the air on the rod holders this usually keeps enough tension on the line to let me know when a fish bites the tip of the rod will still wiggle. You can also put some jingle bell alarms on the tips of your rod. They are very sensative so even if you have your reel on freespool and in a rod holder they will jingle when ya got a bite. You can get the bells at wal mart and they are inexpensive.

3. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Thanks for the info. I've seen the bell things but will pass on clipping something to the rod tip. I have some old holders that maybe I can adapt for shore fishing, if I can find them.

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    you can make bank rod holders out of pvc pipe, rebar, and some hose clamps.

5. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Larry sorry to hear about you rod and reel. A rod holder will help secure you rod and if you do not want to build one, do a search for sand spikes, or holders that surf fisherman use. There is a set up i used to use without a rod holder, get a clip on bell that has a spring on it, weather it is for holding a bell or not. You need the spring to attach a bobby pin to it. Take a string and tie it to two sticks and in the middle place the bell on the string, place to sticks in the ground and make sure you have enought slack on the string that it will rise and lower. Cast out your rod and place your rod in a forked stick behind it and over the string. Open you spool and out of the second eye on your rod from your reel pull the line down and place it into the booby pin. the string should rise with the bell and hold your line. When you get a bite it shoud pull you line out of the bobby pin and drop the bell down alerting you to a hit.

6. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Larry I hope this helps and I know it is hard to understand. If you need me to I will try to get some pictures of it for you. This way keeps you from having to attach a bell to rod, I used to do that but when I'd set the hook I would throw the bell off. Sometimes when I would get a hit it would only raise the bell just a little but move it enough to alert me to it.
    Good luck.

7. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    A friend of mine takes a bobber clips to the line just above reel and puts just enough slack to were the bobber hangs to the side. When a fish bites it pops the bobber up against the pole. The first time I seen him do this it made me :smile2: but it worked so simple.He only uses spnnig reels but I am sure it could work for any set up. Its one of the 1 1/2 or 2in round plastic ones.:0a26:

8. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I always have some kind of holder, even if it's just a forked stick I cut from a nearby bush. Then I usually back the drag off. I never let it freespool using the drag will give you the noise you need to know something is happening. Honestly I made pole holders out of some angle iron and fence pipe. I also use the rip rap or lean it on my ice chest and put a rock or tackle box on the bottom end. I fish for flathead so I back the drag off to make sure a biggun doesn't pull my rod and holder in at the same time. If it is a sandy area you can just cut a 2 or 3 foot piece of pipe and pound it in no modifications necessary.

9. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Rod holders are a must. I've come close to loosing a few rods until i bought some rod holders for my boat. Might check out Cabela's and Bass Pro. I'm sure they have some bank holders.

10. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I don't know how well it would work with a baitcaster, but If i'm using a spinning reel with live bait I cast out and reel in enough to tighten line. Then open the bail and pull the line down to the lower part of the rod and put a rubber band over it to hold it tight.
    Chip

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am going to recommend rod holders for your situation. I am a firm believer of no free spool!! Perhaps you could loosen the tension and let that work as the drag.

12. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    Just check the members library. It has several different styles of rod holders made by members. Pick one that matches your abilities and run with it. I definitely see rod holders in your future or less rods.:roll_eyes::eek:oooh:

13. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Might have to try that myself

14. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Just go to the Member library and look up Bank Rod Holder for Circle Hooks pretty cool set up:wink:

15. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i use the bobber clipped to the line that phlips4bigcats mentioned all my life , pretty common here in western pa works great

16. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    When I fish from the bank. I like to use a strong fork stick, or prop the pole against a rock. I dont freespool, so I'll find several rocks and anchor the rod butt down. If you put a couple of rocks on each side of the pole and then put a flat one across them you can put enough weight on the top rock to anchor the rod down and still be able to get the rod out of it without having to move the rocks. I dont rest the weight of the rocks against the pole. Just build it up enough so the butt can't swing out. I've lost too many flatheads by using a clicker freespooled. You ever get a bite and you hear the clicker screaming till you pick up the pole. then it stops? well, if you had the reel locked and anchored down using a circle hook, that fish would have been hooked.

17. massa_blake

massa_blake Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Blake
    Rod holders are the way to fly they are cheap and easy to make. You also have a much smaller chance of lossing another rod and reel.

18. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I agree with a good rod holder. I've had several fish just take off with the bait and a good rod holder kept me from losing my rod.

19. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Gee, wasn't expecting this many replies. Thanks to everyone for the tips. It seems a rod holder of some sort is the way to go. I have two I made and bought two Y stick type that telescope from about 10" to 30". I also have some old boat road holders around someplace, if I can find them to adapt for shore fishing. I'm going to look at the library and see what is posted.
    Thanks again,
    Larry

20. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    agreed for the most part, but I use the clicker on freespool with no problem, you will have killed bites with the reel engaged aswell, IMO it matters what kind of reel you use and how light the clicker tensioner can go.:wink: