Reel Storage / General Care

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by ThaWstSide, Oct 13, 2008.

1. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Ok, I have never been big on the storage and care part of fishing equipment for the winter months. Can someone please post what steps for maintenance and storage should be followed. I did purchase a hard plastic hand gun case with foam inserts to store my reels in, and a hard plastic long rifle case with the foam inserts as well to store my poles in to prevent any damage or breaks in my equipment.

2. richmondherperman

richmondherperman New Member

State:
    va
    Keep them with the drag backed off is the house at 70 all the time hang the rods on the wall and after a wile if the drag starts sticking you should replace the drag washers and wen saltwater fishing wash off everything after you fish.

3. fr8dog

fr8dog New Member

State:
    OK
    Before putting them up for the winter, give everything a good cleaning. I don't have to winterize stuff (anymore), but every so often I use dish detergent and water and a soft cloth to clean rods and the handles. With reels, I give each one a thorough cleaning once a year, and every few months check them out and oil and grease as needed. Spinning reels I can totally disassemble, clean, and put together. Casting reels are a different story. Too many springs and widgets for my brain to handle. I take them to a guy to do. $20 to clean and oil, but I still have 2 Shimano's that are 23 years old and work like new.

When you put them away, make sure they are completely dry. I would imagine that a case built for guns would be OK for reels. (Gotta watch out for moisture while they're stored) Put them away cleaned and when you take them out, respool and you're ready to go.

4. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    Yea, the house temp is livable. I wont freeze myself, and the reels will be partially disassembled. I will remove the spools, and the handles. I will clean them and oil them before they go in the case too.

5. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    What I left out was, besides putting them in the case all clean and oiled. Someone asked about the temp, and so on... Should I put them in some type of bag/pouch to further protect them, something like velour or felt?

6. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I run a lot of abu garcia reels, as well as a couple of penn 309s and a couple spinning reels.

For winterization I wipe everything down with a warm wet clothe and DAWN dish soap. I oil the reels and sometimes strip the line... Make sure they are dry, and then rack them on the wall in the garage. Been doing this for years... have never had a problem with any of them!!!

To each their own though...

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Keep usein em. Then ya won't have to store em. LOL! Sounds to me like a bit of overkill. :smile2: Like said. Clean em up and lube em back the drag off all the way and hang em in the garage. In my case its the back porch in the rafters. Don't really see the need for cases and velour. :crazy:

8. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I have to admit I just picked an out of the way spot on the front porch and drove some nails for hanging rods.

Good tip on backing the drag off.

9. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I just keep using mine all year. Twice a year I open them up, clean and lube them. Any gears, bearings or bushings that spin during the cast get oil and any that turn only on the retreive get light reel grease.

10. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I cannot stress The importance of keeping them clean, ( Overkill ? No Way)Quality Reels Cost TO Much Money to neglect.And It only takes a couple of minutes to perform.

After each trip ,before they go into my truck they are cleaned of any dust & grime then wiped clean with a dry rag then the reels get covered with a half a Hvy hunting sock, to keep all the other junk off of them when in transport and storage.

As you can see in the Pic's ,,On some of the socks you can see the dirt and grime that would have been collected on the reels otherwise over the time in use..

Why ? ..Because I still have the same reels I bought 11yrs ago and they still perform just as well as when they were bought, with few if any scar's from rocks, drops etc...and who knows what.. some look almost new.
    I have give some of them away to my family & Friends as gifts, because they had no fishing equipment at the time. I just purchased 6 new reels this yr, 10-11yrs after the purchase of the ones I have now. I still have a red ABU5ooo from the 70's that still works great,replaced foot for worm-gear once.Not Bad..

Storing for the winter? Back Off drag #1..and follow Griz's oil and grease applications cover with sock and put up till you get the urge Bro!!:smile2:

Somebody asked here , You know your a Cat fisherman when =

You can look over the nightstand and see your Rod & Reels before you go to sleep..

That was my answer.LOL..No kidding.I take care of my babies.:wink:

Attached Files:

11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    , You know your a Cat fisherman when =

You can look over the nightstand and see your Rod & Reels before you go to sleep..

I was'nt Kidding Bro's:wink:

Attached Files:

12. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    and if ya get your feet wet ya got a dry pair of socks handy:smile2:

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the only thing I do is back the drag off my abu's and strip the line.

I have never oiled or cleaned the inside of a reel...And I have some that I have been using for 15 years and they are still going strong.

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Kenny thats a nice idea! I see you is a Bobber fisherman! :smile2:

15. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    yup same here:big_smile::cool2:

16. cat mike

cat mike New Member

State:
    nebraska
    The only thing I do Is back off the drag and store where its dry.

17. Bassman13

Bassman13 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have some tips and information posted on my site for storing and cleaning your reels for the winter. You can check it out at www.bassman13reelservice.com or send me a message and I will get back to you.

18. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Welcome to the club Tommy