Reel "Sticks" on Roatation!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by ste6168, Jul 4, 2009.

1. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hello All. I have a Shimano Sahara that I use for bass/walleye (bait :wink:) fishing. Sometimes the reel will "stick" (for lack of a better word) and will not rotate without more than normal force on the handle, or simply spinning the bail by hand. I know this happens on other reels/brands also because I have talked to others that have had the same problem. Well this is really starting to bother me and I am about to buy a new reel, but would rather just find a way to "fix" the problem. Anybody have any ideas on how this can be fixed?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'm not familiar with that make of reel, but I had problems similar to that with an Abu. Seems I had backed the brake tension knob off to far and it interfered with the handles rotation. Other than that, it is possible your spool was used to break some heavy line and has been bent. You need to eyeball it close and see if it looks like it is wobbling when cast/retrieved. Guess it is also possilbe the reel has been hit/dropped and the frame bent slightly.

3. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    From working on reels for a living 6 years {i sold my business} this is usually an oscillator gear issue, due to not enough travel or too much. My advice would be to box it up and mail-or-drop off at any authorized Shimano warranty repair.