Reel specs for old Penns

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by catfish kenny, Feb 13, 2009.

1. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    do any of you have the speck's on Penn # 932-# 160 & longbeach 65
    I am looking fer a short overview-line cappacitey-gear ratio test lb line-& years they are made if possible ...I got a Penn #77 and learned it holds 125yrds of..36lbs test .gear 3:1:1 it was made from the 1941to 80's..its now disscontinued
    the 85 was 1950' vintage -to- late 80's 400 yrds of 36lb test 3:1:1 gear ratio...
    these ole dawgs are non levelwind and I am gonna try to use them(LOL):cool2:

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    It dont have the # 932
    all of them cept that one are 40-50's vintage 3:1:1 gear ratio...all of them have been discontinued in the 80's to. ....Now I must find the 932:wink:

3. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    You sure that 932 is a Penn. Ocean City made a 932, they look similar to Penns.

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yep thats what it is ...I knew someone would get it cause I sure wasnt (LOL)

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Jim there was 30 yrs plus of fishin historey in one lill box..:crazy:..... it has been interesting looking it all up to say the least...I can digg a little historey.....gonna be interesting using it too (LOL):cool2:...I cant wait:wink::smile2:

6. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Kenny, sounds like you found some treasure there.. The Long Beach 65 has a 2.5 to 1 gear ratio and will hold about 300 yrds of 30 lb mono. The 160 is a Beachmaster discontinued in the mid 90's. Scott's penn reels site has these specs.

I do not think there was ever a 935 Penn reel. Maybe a Roddy or an Ocean City as suggested by someone earlier? Can you post a photo or two to give us a look?

7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    It's a ocean city #932..I am gonna post some pics in Dallis's antique reel forum later today......I was intimidated by the fact they have no level wind but after casting em couple times we aint got a problem....I like em!Now I must get me a squider some day:wink: .....I love Penns:roll_eyes:

8. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    After you get a couple of squidders, which you will love, try out a high speed Jigmaster. They can be tough to come by, but have bearings, a 5 to 1 gear ratio, but otherwise built like the regular Jigmaster, great for horsing those big ones.... I just got my first one and really like it.

Gotta love those Penns.

9. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    :roll_eyes:Dreaming (LOL):smile2:

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I didn't even know such a thing existed...ya learn something new every day!

I checked, and there's a narrow spool model...506HS...should be a casting machine!

11. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    I've got two Penn 209 levelwinds, a 1973 and 1976, can't even guess how many fish they have winched in. Does anyone make an alluminum spool to replace the heavy stainless original spool? Sure would make a better caster. Also have a 307 Kmart, which is a high quality copy of a Penn 309.

12. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Penn makes an aluminum spool for the 209.

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    kenny pm me youraddress again and ill send you a surprize.

14. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Use some heavy grease on the 209 bushings and that will help some. All my 209's have the metal spool and the thumb gets a good workout throwing these...

15. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I have a parts list and drawing of it with part #s but it doesn't give line cap. Just looked at the number this is for a Penn 930