Reel Sizes

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by ryang, Oct 28, 2005.

1. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Quick question, Ive seen posts about the size of a reel or how much line one holds. I have 2 6500 which hold about 175 yds of 20lbs line I think well something like this Im using 7ft poles and not getting any real distance casting out of them. Im just starting out with the baitcasters this year what I would like to know is what would be a better reel I honestly cant see spooling them all the way to the end with a cast so it should be enough line right. The main reason Im asking is I seen a post on small reels as far as Mono/Braid and person said that 6500s are small. Not that I dont want some bigger reels but I havnt caught anything big with these yet have any of you actually been spooled by a fish with that much line?

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Never been close to being spooled by a catfish...I think alot of us use big reels just because we like them :D My biggest catfish a 50-lb flathead was caught on a abu 6500 spooled with 30-lb test..This reel will probably only hold about 110yds of 30-lb test and the fish did not come close to spooling me..I can see where a massive reel is needed in some conditions however.

3. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Reels usually cast better when the spool is almost full. We spool them up once and when we replace line with new stuff, we only replace about half of it and leave the old line on for backing. That way it only costs about half as much when putting new line on.

Tip: If you have a problem with backlashes, spool off slightly more line that you cast cast and then put some scotch tape over the remaining line on the spool. The line won't backlash deeper than the tape and if you catch a big fish and need the extra line, the tape will pop right off when the line comes off down to it.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Hey Gary. I'm readin that ya aren't happy with your casting distance and that this is your first year with baitcasters. Not to insult ya but do ya have the reel adjusted properly to cast the weight that you use. There are adjustments that must be done to utilize the reels potential. As far as the size of the reel I think ya will be fine.

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    George I wouldnt say Im not happy with my casting yet Im still learning them so will be able to get them down a little further with more practice. I figure they are good enough right now. Im pretty sure I have them set up correctly bait falls slowly to the ground when I release the spool then I back it off just a tad from there, my main problem is trying to throw them instead of letting the weight of the bait throw itself.

6. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I'm in my second year of using Baitcasters..sometimes. LOL I went with a 7.5 foot rod for my Penn reel and an 8 foot rod for my 6000. Casts pretty good too. I use powerpro though. Powerpro actually costs a lot less to use than any comparable quality mono I've ever used. I'm still using some I put on my Penn when I won it from the board in Jan, 2003. And it shows no sign of weakening or anything else. I used to change mono once or twice a year. Best darn stuff I've found for spinning reels too. And if your rods have ceramic guides they don't wear with powerpro. Metal rod tips will though, that's for sure. I always try to fill my spool to within about 1/8 of an inch of full and it works well for me.

7. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    The 6500 is a fine reel with plenty of line capacity for most fishing situations. I think most of the members you hear talking about the 6500 being small live in states that have laws about how close you can get to a dam, if I remember right in Arkansas you can't get within 100yds of the dam. In these areas you have to make casts of 90+yds to reach prime cat water. Fill a 6500 up with 30lb mono cast 90yds, let the bait settle to the bottom and you won't have much line left on the reel. Maybe some of our brothers who fish these waters will reply with more info on how these long cast are made and what equipment is used.

8. DrummerCat

DrummerCat New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Gary, what kind of distance would you say you are getting? With my 7 my foot UglyCats I would be hard pressed to throw my 6500’s past 75-80 yards with two ounces of weight pulling 20lb. mono. I keep my brakes almost all the way off …that is to say when I put my reels in free spool the weight will hit the deck at a fast rate and over run …but that is the way I like to throw the 6500s …and they don’t backlash on me. The dynamics of the rods you have will also have a lot to do with the distance you get. Some rods are great for getting it out there and some are great for getting it back in.

Semi-sidearm casts tend to give me a little more distance when casting 7 foot rods, as they are too short for a proper power cast …pendulum, off the ground cast, etc.

If you start a sidearm cast with the rod low to the ground (say 2 feet off the deck) and bring it up diagonally through the cast to the release point (say 7 or 8 feet off the deck). Your rod covers more distance in the same amount of horizontal space thus giving your rod a little bit more time to load which in turn produces more velocity at the release. I hope this makes a little bit of sense, as I am certainly no physicist. Try not turn the power on too soon in the cast, which is a bit tricky with a rod as short as a 7 footer.

Maybe this will help, If your casting radius was a clock face and you are standing right in the middle of the clock, I’m talking about starting the cast at 2 or 3 o’clock and releasing at around 6 o’clock, the course of travel being counter-clockwise.

9. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Hey ryang, I use 6500s and 6000s. When fishing the mississippi sometimes we are fishing 80 ft deep. It takes a whole lot of line to drop that distance and keep away from other lines. When three or four rods is out they all seem to travel towards the back of the boat. To keep lines away from each other they need to be out at different distances from the boat. With the depth and distance if i used mono i wouldn't have enough line where powerpro leaves a plenty left. And now i've seen why i need that line! You have to have enough line to set the hook and get all the other lines before he spools you to throw the anchor.

I know last week i caught one in the high thirties and in heavy current he was running like a frieght train. I was trying to get the rods in and two were hung and this fish was really givin it to me in heavy current(16 ounce current).. I wanted to throw the anchor but couldn't because of these rods. So i had to winch him against heavy current before he took all my line. If it were a big fish say 50+ pounds i'd have to say he would of gave me a run for my money cause i'd surely have to break off those poles and get the boat floatin with him.

I don't use a cheap backer cause when fishing in places like this i need all the line i can get! 6000's and 6500's are great reels and i love mine. Now that i use powerpro.

10. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    You're not going to get good distance with a 7' rod. A rod in the 9 to 13' range is more appropriate. They store a lot more energy on the cast which is required to get that bait moving fast enough to get it out there. Your 6500s are ideal for longer range casting. They're typically better than the larger reels for this purpose.

A lot of distance is also lost in adjusting your reel to "not backlash" when it hits the ground. I know the manual says so. But the manual is not written for those wishing to maximize casting distance - it's written for the average consumer, with less than ideal casting skills, to avoid backlashes. It just puts too much drag on the bait/weight as it is in-flight.

Adjust your reel so that there is a very slight "knock" from side to side reducing the tension on the spool. You then slow the reel down by using a higher viscosity oil in the bearings (or bushings) if you find it too fast. You could tighten up a little bit more by "just" taking the knock out - but no further than that. Casting technique is also important to keep from backlashing. When casting, you need to load the rod slowly. No fast snapcasting aloud - which would make a birdsnest out of your reel in a hurry :eek: With a "snap cast" you only load the tip of the rod which doesn't have the power to really get your bait moving. You do, however, get the spool moving at a blinding speed. A fast moving spool without the bait/weight speed to move the line equals backlash in a big way. You gotta load the whole rod to generate the power to move the bait. With proper casting technique, you should be able to remove your thumb from the spool completely until the bait hits the water.

Do a web search for "hatteras cast" or "unitech cast" for a little primer on casting techniques.

If you choose to give it a shot, I recommend you go to a field and start out small. Just lob the weight. Progressively add power a little bit at a time concentrating on feeling the rod load. Doing so, you should be able to find your limits without making a mess of your reel.

/Scott

11. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Russ/Danny thanks for the info I think the only reason I havent tried sidearm was due to people being around. I can usually get about 50yds on good casts I just feel I should be able to get more. Like I said more practice hopefully the winter isnt too bad and Ill go out some.

Scott Ill try loading up like that also thanks