reel repair

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by russ, Nov 18, 2007.

1. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    anyone, know where i can get some reels repaired, a couple penns & 2 abus all have levelwind problems. thx

2. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I have a Penn 209 that I need to get the drag fixed on so this info would be nice.

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Dang, wish I could point you guys in the right direction, but not sure myself. You might want to make a post here for some assistance.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=247

I know there is some pretty sharp guys here in the BOC that can probably tell you where to send your reels. Good Luck

4. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    If the level wind doesnt move back and forth or hangs up it is probably the Pawl. Under the level wind there is a screw. Remove it and tap lightly on the side and the pawl will fall out. There are no other parts in there like springs to lose or something. You can order parts by calling 1-866-703-9852 or go to www.dadsoletackle.com Pawls cost very little.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You can also get pawls at Academy's for both Penn and Abu's. They also sell the worm gear if both need replacement. Cost is about 4.00 per reel for the pawls and around $12.00 for both. Almost cost you that much in postage. LOL

6. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    thx guys for the info. im going to get the parts ordered tomro. these are spare reels but are to good throw away. thank you..........rusty

7. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    Rusty and Michael. Penn reels are super easy to work on. The levelwind especially. Michael, if you can get the drag discs for you reel call me and I will walk you through it. It is so easy. Send me a PM and I will give you my phone #. Also while you have it apart you might as well go ahead and pick up a small tube of some kind of reel lube from your local bait shop. You are going to have to completely disassemble your reel to change the drag discs. But like I said it is super easy. And Penn parts are very easy on the walet.

8. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    Rusty, I almost forgot...the only plastic gear in a Penn reel is the one for the levelwind. It is called the idler gear. On the Penn reels take the side plate off the reel that is opposite the handle. Check to make sure the idler gear is not messed up. Sometimes small pieces of sand and dirt get in between the gears and strip the gears. I keep several extra idler gears in my tackle box in case one goes out on the water.

9. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    See Cuz them thar Kentucky boyz are good to have around every once in a while... Now all we gotta do is teach them to fish... hehehe

10. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    Harold, one thing I do know ALOT about is a Penn reel. That's all I use. Also I am sorry I let ya down during the last fish off. Fishing was tough here the last couple months of it. But believe me...it wasn't from the lack of trying!!!:wink:

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
  12. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Hey.. no problem... Nobody was catching much and My motor went south... All I use is 220 gto's.. I love them Penns..

13. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    So Dan what your saying is when I come through on my way to Science Hill, KY Wednesday night I should drop off my reel at your house and then pick it up on the way home Sunday? Thanks, I always heard you KY guys had a heart of gold.

14. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    If you have the parts I would be more than happy to rebuild them for you. If not the local bait shop has some penn parts on hand. I have plenty of Penn reel lube so you don't need that.

15. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Thanks Dan, but I was only kidding....:tounge_out:

16. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    If your looking for some one to repair reels there is a bait shop here in south St. Louis called Paul's Bait Shop. they are located at 4421 Chippewa and the phone number is 314-773-6221. If you need some on-line parts try the reel doctor. do a search for reel doctor . com

hope that helps.

17. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    ty guys for the info. one call & i have all the new parts on the way. for less than what it would cost for shipping for one reel to the repair shop.owe you guys one thanks.......rusty