reel recommendations ?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by hog223, Oct 18, 2009.

1. hog223

hog223 New Member

State:
    southern logan county ok
    now that i'm into catfishing from my boat i'm finding that my hodge podge of rods & reels aren't working well for this application. i like to use spinning reels but they dont fit well in my ram rod holders so it looks like it's time to update to levelwind reels. i'm sure most use abu garcia's & i'd like to know which model to go with. i dont want to spend a fortune, just want a decent reel. i've been using some 7' medium action rods that seem to work well. any recamendations on reels & rods ? not to expensive but will get the job done. thanks.

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    the rods realy depend on where you are fishing lake or river i like a 7ft. rod no matter if it is river or lake but the action will differ from place to place reel hands down is a abu for me anything from a 6000 up 6500 preferably tell us where you plan to fish and you we will know better what to recomend rod wise

3. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    6500C3 on a 7 footer will handle just about anything you would normally run into altho you may find a MH rod more up to the task for all around situations. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

4. grandfisher

grandfisher Member

State:
    missouri
    I would also recommend the Abu Gracia. I like the 6500. You can pick one up for $75 right now. Usually they are a little more. I have also used Okuma baitcasters. I had an Okuma Convector ($55) and an Okuma Classic ($27). They are made in china (with a little c), and are nowhere near the same class as the Abu Garcia. I'm still using the Okuma Classic though. I really liked the Convector but the level wind worm gear stripped out and it's hard to get parts for it. I've got a couple Penn 209 reels that have large line capacity and would cast a mile, but they are also china reels. The old Penns I'm sure are better. Again, the level wind stripped out. I've went through several Shakespear Baitcasters. Gearing gives out after about one intense season of fishing. I've never had any issues or problems with any Abu 6500. Make certain you get a Swedish made Abu. The Abu 5500 is not near as tough as the 6000 or 6500. Parts are readilly available for the Abu but I've never had to replace anything on any of mine. In my opinion, for the money, the Abu Garcia 6500 is the best investment for a serious angler.
    As for rods, I'd rather buy a cheaper rod and spend more on the reel. I've got several Eagle Claw Water Eagle rods that I've gotten attached to. Only $16 for and 8 footer with light/medium action and $18 for a 9 footer with medium/heavy action. The American Spirit rods are a great rod for the money. From 6' to 10', they range from $20-40. I have several that I have landed several 20-40 pound cats. No problems so far. The Berkley Glostik is a good rod as well. Whatever rod you use, it will look good with an Abu 6500 on it!

5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    dont forget about the skp2000c shakespeare ..damn good real for 35 bucks

6. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Abu 6000's in the bushing models are not too high, but the Kinghawk in the 6000 size are hard to beat for price and performance.

7. Soonerfan

Soonerfan Member

State:
    Guthrie Ok
    ABU GARCIA 6500CL BIG GAME

Price:$106.95
    Specifications:MANUFACTURER ABU GARCIA
    SERIES NAME BIG GAME COLLECTION
    MODEL NUMBER 6500CL
    STYLE OF REEL BAITCAST
    BAIT ALARM/CLICKER YES
    DRAG CARBON MATRIX
    BEARINGS 3 STAINLESS BEARINGS
    GEARING 5.3:1 RATIO
    SPOOL ALUMINUM
    ANTI-REVERSE INSTANT
    LEVEL WIND YES
    SPOOL CAPACITY245 YDS/14#
    OTHER INFORMATIONBLACK/CHROME COLOR REEL, BLACK POWERHANDLE, 13.6 OZ., MADE IN SWEDEN.

This is the best reel ive owned. I bought 2 last summer from catfish connection when abu had a $15 dollor rebate on each reel. I dont think i'll buy another 6500c3 because the 6500cl cast farther and doesnt backlash and has a power handle. If you want to go cheaper I would go with a penn 209 or 309 made in the USA. You can find these on ebay used for $30-$50.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  8. hog223

hog223 New Member

State:
    southern logan county ok
    well thanks, i think i'll do some comparing with the 6500 c3 & cl

9. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I'm late to the party with this, but if they still have them at the same price...Rogers Sporting Goods has/had 6000B's for $50. A great reel at a great price. The main difference between them and the C3's are the bearings. The B's have bushing, but will still cast great and be a very good choice if you want to save a bit of money.

10. moav81

moav81 New Member

State:
    KC, MO
    I really like the abu 6500. Great real for the money.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Paul you have received some good advice on reels. However if you like using spinning reels and the rod holders are the problem, I would consider changing some of the rod holders. Have you looked at the Monster Rod Holders? Good luck on your choise.

12. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    whats really the difference from a 6500c3 and a big game? The line capacity rating is the same. I finally bought a 6500c3 this weekend after wondering what the fuss was about. I have to admit it is the smoothest reel I have ever used. It doesnt hold enough line for my liking. I didnt like it at first because it was so smooth I didnt believe it had any ruggedness or balls. but I went out for an hour just to test it yesterday and caught 3 channel cats on Eel chunk with no problems. It cast far but my Penns cast just as far with good weight and actually feel like they can reel in a beast I like the 6500 but it just cant hold as much line as the Penns maybe I should have gotten a 7000. I am overall happy with it just dont feel it is worth a $100+ price tag as compared to my 309 or 320 GTI both priced under $80.

13. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    If your not to specific to abu's like I once was , try out the Penn 220 gto or Penn 310 gti . Both of these reels can be found on ebay in exellent condition for 35-45 $'s shipped . They hold around 250 yrd's of 30 # test and cast great , and their a PENN .
    As far as a rod , I don't know if you night fish or not , but you can't beet a berkley glowstik . I just ordered 8 of the 8' med-heavy , I would be comfortable with a fish in the 80-90# range on them . Two month's ago I caught a 64.6# monster on one of the 10 med-heavy glowsik's , like it was nothing . Just a little too long for me .. But you can get the 8ftr for under 30.00 dollars at catfish conection right now .
    For $70.00 - $80.00 in my opinion you can't go wrong ...
    Good Luck with your decision , hope this helps

14. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    You should have been able to get a C3 for around $80. The C4's are in the $100 range.

15. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    Okuma's, Penns, and Abu's are all good reels, just make sure the ones you choose fits your needs. If you go with an Abu, don't get anything in the BCX series. My local Wal-Mart carries several nice Abu-Garcia reels (6500c3, 7000i, 6500c4, etc), so if you want to buy local, and your local bait shop can't give you what you need, check yours out.

Ramon, I think the only difference between 6500CL and 6500C3 is the power handle, the absence of a plastic palm plate on the CL, and the dual cast controls; notice the extra knob on the left-hand-side of a right-hand model.

16. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i've caught monster fish on my shakespeare tide water 30 no problem,great deal at only $35.00.i like my abu's better but their more expensive.don't like penn period.if i were just starting out i'd go with the shakesphere.

17. Tony Long

Tony Long New Member

State:
    Glasgow,Ky
    I don't think you could go wrong with a Abu 6500 c3,it will last a lifetime and handle about anything that you may run into as some bro's on here have already said...There really worth what you pay for them even if you buy one used!!!Good luck,and stick a pig.

18. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I would say 6500 C3. I like em so much I got 3 more coming. Just do some looking around and you'll be able to find some good reels at a good price.
    Be sure and check out the Posts for people trading up or just clearing out some reels. ​

19. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
  20. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I've used the 6500C3 a few more times and I have to admit this reel is growing on me. Put a 3oz weight on it and put a little zing behind it and the distance from the bank impressed me. The only reels so far that outdistance it are my Penn 320GT2 but that is with 4 oz, I think If I put 4 on the 6500 it might beat it, they are both on 8' Berkly Glow sticks. And my Penn Spinning reels, but they have 9' and 10ft' rods respectively so I didnt expect the 6500 to compete with them. But I have to admit this reel is top notch quality I just need to catch a pig on it and I'll be totally sold on ABU