REEL RECOMENDATION NEEDED

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by shaky, Nov 27, 2009.

1. shaky

shaky Member

State:
    smithville mo
    Just got a 9 footer BWS Uglystick from a friend for $15. He had it in his garage and said he almost forgot about it and probably never use it. Just need a reel for it, anyone have any recomendations. All my other rigs are baitcasters, and I dont know to much about spinning reels. I think, I want to use braided line sense its gonna be my new long range weapon.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Abu Garcia 7000i should work well with the rod and the braid.

Bill in SC

3. shaky

shaky Member

State:
    smithville mo
    I need a spining reel though.

4. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I agree a 7000i or a 7000iC3 or if those are a little too much a penn 209/309 should do it!!!you can find those reels on ebay really cheap!!!Good luck finding a new reel!!!

5. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    o you need a spinning reel...uhh dont know much but i know there are some nice peen reels...or maybe a catmaxx but the catmaxx is ginormus!!!

6. shaky

shaky Member

State:
    smithville mo
    your right they are good reels i own a penn and a abu baitcaster. i need a recomendation on a spinning reel.

7. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Look at the Okuma Baitrunners. They may be what you are looking for.

8. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Agreed. The Okuma ABF reels are great. Strong and smooth, and there's the addition of the baitfeeder feature. Depending on what your looking to spend, I'd check out Shimano's reels as well.

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Anything Shimano will do you well. They made bait runners before most anybody else thought of it.

When Okuma's hit the market, they were junk. It took them awhile to get where they are now.

10. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Penn Captiva 80 series, no way to describe but the word "winch" add some 65lb or 80lb PP, a 4-5 oz weight, cast to the middle of any lake/river and reel in that monster. I have reeled in Cats up to 62LB and it doesnt sweat. :wink: The Okuma is nice too and great price

11. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I'd stay with the 7000i. It's going to serve you better, in the long run, than the spinning reel. I'm not putting down the shimano's or the Okuma bait runner reels, they're good, and I guess everyone needs a good bait reel.....:eek:oooh:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  12. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I'd go with the Shimano 6500B or so Bait runner. I really like mine.​

13. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have to agree about the Shimano's. No matter who you care to put them up against, They seem to come out on top IMO..

14. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    My fishing buddy has a couple of the older Shimano stardics (I think) that he bought used off ebay probably about 8-10 years ago. They serve him well and I don't know of any problems he has had with them. I think they are the 6000 size. I have personally sen him boat a couple Shovleheads of 50 + inches with no problem.

15. shaky

shaky Member

State:
    smithville mo
    thanks for all the info. it really helps. im pricing some bait runners.

16. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Cabelas Saltstriker baitfeeder in size 65 or 80.They wear like iron and they,re pretty reasonable.My wife uses several of them,they get hard use and aint been able to hurt one in 5+ years.

17. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I would recomend the cat maxx cm80 it is huge, but thats what you need when catfishing I baught mine about 2 years ago and love them im still buying them up to 6 now never had a problem with one. Their only 39.99 each plus shipping from bass pro.

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'm somewhat confused. If all your other reels are baitcasters, why would you want a spinning reel for a 9 foot rod? If you want a rod and reel for catching bait, a 9 foot rod won't serve you well. If you want the setup for catfishin', stick with the baitcaster.

Bill in SC

19. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I agree that with the baitcasters you will have more cranking power and with some practice you can throw them as far or further than a spinning reel, but they can be a pain to use sometimes in certain situations and todays better quality spinning reels don't give up much to a baitcaster,there used to be a huge difference between the two but that gap has narrowed alot. I hate the shimano gear,my personal opinion is they are junk all of it. I would go with a penn spinning reel myself,penn reels knows saltwater and builds their stuff to handle big strong saltwater fish,they will do the job,and being as they are built to handle saltwater conditions, and around freshwater seem to last forever.

20. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    he wants a spin cast cuz he got a good deal on a spincast rod. LIke he said from the beginning.