Reel R&R

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by uapipefitter, May 31, 2008.

1. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    I want to do my yearly reel oiling. I have two abu's a pro rocket 6500 and a black cat I bought last year. What kind of oil and where should I oil them? Should I take them apart and clean and oil? Thank you to the mighty and all wise great catfish kingdom for your input. Trent

2. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use and have been very pleased with a product called Reel Saver. They make both an oil and a grease. They are synthetic lubricants. A little bit goes a long way. I switched to synthetic lubes because as a collector of old Mitchells and Ambassadeurs I've opened too many reels and found them packed full of automotive grease. The oil based greases are just too hard to clean out. I maintain that you use as little lube as necessary. I am a confirmed advocate of synthetic lube and encourage you to check them out.

3. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    Thanks Edward. I use synthetic gear lube and oil in all my vehicals and I'm a believer that it's worth the money. Thanks

4. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I take mine apart at the begining of every fishing season and clean and oil them. I also reline all my reels then. I recomend quantum Hot sauce reel oil and grease it moleculerly bonds with the metal and is there to stay,and it makes your reel cast alot farther. There are others out there(ardent reel butter,roket fuel etc etc) but this is my oil and grease of choice. Ive been useing it for a few years now and I wouldnt use anything else.

5. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Like Crab I use quantum hot sauce reel oil and grease. I also use cals grease on my drag washer upgrades. Just alittle tip a drop of oil goes a long way, otherwise you'll find oil where you don't want it. I learned that the hard way.

6. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Penn has a synthetic oil and grease which I have had good luck with. Reel X also has a good reputation, although I have not used it personally...

7. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    Thanks guys, I knew I could count on you.

8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    As mentioned in some of the previous posts, Quantum hot sauce is great for the lubrication of your reels. It does work at a molecular level that penetrates the surface of the metal and provides excellant lubrication of the moving parts on the reel. Also it cuts down on the overheating of the gears and other parts of the reel and adds more life of usage to your reels. Great stuff. Available at Bass Pro Shops and Cabelas and other outdoor retailers.:big_smile: