reel question

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by adam1886, Apr 4, 2008.

1. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    do you guys prefer using the clicker on the reels or not? and also when using circle hooks is it better to use the clicker or does it have to be off to let the fish hook itself?

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use my bait clicker that way if im watching another pole or occupied I can hear it go off

3. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I like to flip the clicker on and back the drag off enough for the fish to hook him self (circle hook) but still be able to run. How tight I set the drag is based on how strong the current is. I am usually in good current, better known as Hot water and when a good fish hits he Rips it! Thats what I hope for anyway.
    Good Luck, Good Fishing

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I use my clicker also by keeping the drag down just enough to set my circle hook. When it goes off I turn my star drag up and reel in for the fight.

5. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I dont use clickers ,just loosen the drag for circle hooks

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I must admit to being a novice when it comes to circle hooks. But, I fish with my drag set so the fish can pull line off without breaking it. So, when I use circle hooks, I don't back the tension off - its all ready set for the fight. Think I'd be more apt to break the line if I went to messing with the drag with a fish on. And, I don't believe I need the line alarm or clicker sets as I can hear my pole grunting when its bent over. lOL

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I dont use clickers that much myself.I turn it on anytime im baiting a hook or occupied doing something else but when im done i click it back off.

8. Shooter64

Shooter64 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use the clicker alot, just so it easier to keep up with several poles at once.
    I am also usually occupied by my 5 year old too.
    Kris

9. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I use the clicker all the time.... Reel is in freespool on my Penns but for the clicker, and the Baitrunner is on liveline...

The clicker on the Penns is a fairly stout "light" drag itself...