Reel question

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by 4/0 kahle, Aug 21, 2007.

1. 4/0 kahle

4/0 kahle New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Any one out there using Abu garcia 6000 reel? I have one and been using it quite abit...just wonderin' if it will hold up to the BIG cats...if i ever get one hooked.

2. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    that reel should hold up just fine for large fish. if all you are targeting are large fish you might want to step it up to at a 6500 or a 7000

3. 4/0 kahle

4/0 kahle New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I have thought about the 6500 big game model..i looked at reels again last night at catfishconnection.com...they have quite a few reels to choice from.

4. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    a 6000 will handle anything a 6500 will.they are the same reel in terms of size and gearing except for the 6500c4 wich has a 6:3:1 ratio,were as the 6500c3 and 6000 has a 5:3:1 ratio.but the pinoin gear in the c4 models wear out mutch quicker when throwing heavy weight's,because the c4 models have 100+ gears on the big gear and i think 11 or 12 on the small gear,now u think about how many times that small gear is spinning with every turn of the handle,trust me it dont work out to good.lol.

hope this helps.

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    The 6000 will hold up to any fish you catch. I use 6000's,6500's on all my 8 ft. rods for boat and mild current fishing. Also recently purchased 2 of the 6600 c4's and so far I like them. I caught a 20 lber. on one of the 6600's in a tournament the other day and the reel performed well on it. If you are going to be fishing in heavy current frequently then go up to a 7000 or bigger and you will like the results a lot better.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ya the Abu 6000 is it a good reel, I own one.

7. 4/0 kahle

4/0 kahle New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    thanx to all-- i am in the mind to buy one of those newer 7000's from catfish conn. that just showed up on their web site...they look like my 6000 but have a power handle and a bit larger,but are quite different from the 7000i i saw at wally world for 96 bucks and they are about 70 bucks if i remember right...ebay calls the new 7000 a "high speed" 7000 and price is similar....the 7000i @ wal mart has a lever type cast release but the other 7000 is like my 6000.."push button'' style release... i have never seen a 7000 like the one on catfish connection and they say they are ''limited quantity''...:confused2:

8. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The only difference between the 6000 and 6500 is color, and the 6000 has spool bushings were the 6500 has spool bearings. Everything else is the same. The bushings/bearings don't have anything to do with fighting the fish. You'll only notice a difference in casting. All other parts are the same between the two.

9. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    When used properly almost any reel will handle a big (fresh water) fish. The reel is not designed to winch the fish in, it is primarily designed to cast the bait out and then store the line after you pull it back in. Set the drag properly and to fight the fish pull back on the rod and then lower it toward the fish and wind in a few turns. repeat as necessary. Really burns my butt when I see "fishermen?" lean back on the rod and start crankin on the reel. When the fish is pulling line off "STOP REELING" all that you are doing is wearing out your drag washers and in the case of a spinning reel you are twisting your line. Now with BIG fish in open water its a little different game, there you need drags than can handle 60 to 80 pounds of pressure and several hundred yards of line when a Marlin or Tuna heads for the horizon, but for the majority of fish under 20 - 25 pounds a Zebco with 10 pound line will handle them if used correctly. Don"t get me wrong, I LOVE showing off my Ambassadors in fresh water and big Penns when in salt water but lots of the time the little cheap Zebs or some other Wally world special will do the trick.