Reel question

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by slikk03, Aug 11, 2007.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i was looking for abues and found a chrom rocket for 169 bucks is this any better than the cs pro rocket

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I haven't got to use one yet but have the CS PRO Rocket. I would like to try one as I like the looks of the reel except in the bright sunlight, LOL. I believe the reel might be a little stouter as the chrome will be a stronger finish and make the side plates stiffer than the annodized fihishes. This will just make the reel have a LITTLE less flex, or be stiffer. Not sure how much better it will make the reel though, might cast 1 or 2 feet farther, but that would be about it. I can't see spending that much more for the reel when the CS PRO Rocket at Catfish Connection is only about 95.00. But if you like the looks of it that much, get it. You're the one sitting there stairing at it for hours on end. If you get it, let us know how it does compared to the other ones.

3. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I had a chrome cs rocket that casted the same as the CS pro rocket. Nice looking reel with a lot of nice chrome:big_smile:

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Like I said. Theoretically they should be a stiffer reel, but wasn't sure if they would actually cast any better or not. They sure are a purdy reel though!

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Kinda think its like the guy that drives a hummer instead of a ford or chevy... just something to make people notice him. Thats all I see a super duper reel like that do... its the same as any other abu.

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    there is also anather model thats silver that is just a plain rocket, not a pro rocket, u heard of these

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It's actually a light metalic looking sky blue. I've got one I built and have the parts to build another one. I LOVE it! I think I like the double knob reels better than the ultra cast design. Just easier for me to get my big fingers on the knob on the left side instead of the tiny space on the right side. It looks better too, but still has the same gears and operating parts of the others. I believe the price on them is around 130 to 150 bucks.

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    what makes it differant than the pro rocket

9. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I never did quite understand why a high dollar reel made catching a fish any different than a good old zebco classic. I have used zebco all my life and will continue to use them. I started out as a kid with a 202, now I don't buy anything but the 33 classic. works great for any fish I want to catch in these little rivers or lakes around here. For small fish and bass I use the mini zebco with an ultra light rod. Lots of fun. Makes even the smallest fish feel like a whopper.

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i like using zebco for gills and crappie and whitebass but thats it

11. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Belinda, try one of the zebco RSC series reels. i use the RSC5, and have a couple of RSC 3s for the wife. that is about as good as it gets for a closed faced spinning reel.

however, if you want to see the difference in money, if you can afford it, go buy a 10 or 15 dollar open faced spinner, use it a dozen times, then buy, say, a shimano symetre....day and night difference:wink:

12. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Just the colors, that's about it.

13. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    There's no way that Zebco 33 will cast far enough in some of the areas I fish to get out to were the fish are. You've got to be versitle when fishing. Some of the times, the fish are not that far out (in the areas I fish). Other times, I have to make a 120 to 130 yard cast to get to were the fish are, and that's using a 3 to 4 oz. weight. That zebco 33 won't even hold enough 25 or 30lb test line to reach that far. I've also stripped out a zebco 33 on fish less than half the size of the biggest fish I've caught.

If you're only going to catch fish up to 8 lbs and don't have to cast more than 25 yards, then the zebco 33 is fine. If you target bigger fish at a greater distance, then you're outgunned. A .22lr will kill a deer, but there's big reasons why hunters don't use it for that purpose, there's just better calibers.

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    First.I did not know that they did make it different.Now there is a BIG difference in the way some handle a fish.How many of and which of the "high dollar" reels are you talking about and used to be able to adequately judge by?For most of my 62 years $50.00 was high dollar.Now it is $10.00,yep! No joke,ten dollar.I have fresh and salt water fished all of my life and used the 33's and 808/888's for 40 years.While they would have handled 999 out of 1000 of every fish that I ever fished for,there were many that they would not have been suitable for.I even used my 808/888's for lite saltwater as well as heavy freshwater fishing.I have been spooled many times by fish using my catch for dinner.This is very common in salt water and does happen in fresh.Not everyone fishes in "little rivers and lakes" or targets little fish.If it "works great for any fish"that you want to catch,and makes you happy,it would seem to be the perfect reel for you.Perfection is strictly in the mind of the individual.At 62 I have never owned a Aba Garcia casting reel.I believe that I missed out on something as I don;t think that many users can be wrong.I never had a use for a level wind or casting brake until I became crippled up (oops) handicapped.I always fresh water casted with the easiest casting thing around.A Zebco spin cast or open faced! It fit my wants and needs.A cheep hand line reel used right will catch/has caught any fish that has ever been caught.They are doing it throughout the world right now as they have done for thousands of years.Our Zebco's are "high dollar"reels in many parts of the world and are not needed to catch the worlds smallest to the worlds largest fish.It is strictly what you can afford,you like and you can use.No more no less.Yea!I wish that I could afford a lot of those expensive reels.I cain;t.I know nothing in person about them,so I don;t feel qualified to judge things that I know nothing about.I screw up enough on the things that I think I know something about.Sounds like you have the perfect gear for you and your fishing.It has been many times for me.Now on other days it was totally inadequate.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well everyone else is commenting on your post so i might as well to. have you gotten to use a high dollar baitcaster? compairing one to a 33 is like compairing a old datsun pickup to a new duramax chevy 4x4, and catching a big fish on a 33 would be like that datsun trying to pull that new chevy it will probally do it til the guy in the chevy desides to put it in gear and head the other way:eek:oooh:,those high dollar bait casters are so mutch smooother than 33s ,especally if you get too mutch string on there, that they are almost effort less. so to recap what your missing smoother, stronger, oh and they generally last way longer than a 33. "now I don't buy anything but the 33 classic" probally why ford is the #1 seller, people who want to drive them have to keep buying new ones:embarassed: sorry had to go their.:big_smile:

16. CatFishingFinatic

State:
    Iowa
    I hauled in a 12lb blue cat on a Zebco Rhino reel/Rod... was a lot of fun. But I do love my ultra light for blue gill/crappie/perch/bass.

17. CatFishingFinatic

State:
    Iowa
    I am not a big person so even with the best smoothest reel on the market, I doubt I would be able to cast 120-130 yards. Nor do I really have the need to get out that far. I mean there have been a few times bass fishing that I wished I could have gotten out just a little bit farther. But I think everyone has that wish with a cast here and there. I also don't use that large of test, I generally use 15lb on the river and 4-8 lb test when fishing for bass/bluegill or other pan fish. I find using my drag and playing the fish more fun than bullying them. I have caught some nice cats in my day. Not records by any means, but 12-14lbs is a good cat on 15lb test in my eyes. I also landed a 6lb 9oz Bass on my ultra light using 6lb test. But it was playing him and wearing him out that got him in, not dragging him through the water.

18. CatFishingFinatic

State:
    Iowa
    Thank you Phil I will check into them. I have had my 2 zebco's for several years I generally go through more rods than I do reels. My husband and I bought the same style reels a couple years ago, he bought a shakespear and I bought a zebco, he stripped his out on a medium size bass this spring but mine keeps going strong. :wink:

19. CatFishingFinatic

State:
    Iowa
    I have tried using several different baitcasters, My son had one he paid quite a bit of money for. I don't know what kind it was. But I wasn't very impressed with it. Didn't take him long to sell it and go back to the zebco himself.

20. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I figured I might as well throw my reel into the ring!!! I can remember when a boughten cane pole ($1.00) was high tech!! Then they put eyelets on them!! Then they telescop into each section! The other day after a bass broke my 40 year old cane pole and no luck finding a new one , I was off to wally world and found a 13 footer for 14.95. Now Im not against what anyone else uses or what they fish for but ya know what? I seen some hellacious cats brought out of water using nothing but staging and a fresh cut willer pole! In my opinion catfishin is now about how much you spend to get a big one so you can have your pic taken. Well that maybe fine for some but all I want is a 1 piece real cane pole and some staging and some picked up crawlers and a hot skillet!! Now thats high tech for me!! :tounge_out::big_smile: