Reel question

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by slikk03, Aug 6, 2007.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    wh

what will happen if i dont take my reels apart, i realy dont want to risk not putting it together right,and cant afford to take it o be cleand

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    maybe nothing the most likely culpret to break is exposed, the levelwind, can probally be cleaned and oiled without taking it apart. some of the other parts might start making noise and or lose performance if not oiled eventualy something may break. maybe?

3. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Just go to the library section of this website. There's articles with good photos on how to take the reel apart for simple cleaning and general maintinance. If you have any problems, there's enough help on here to get you back to go.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    "No maintenance" will make "Junk" quicker out of everything,including us.Bottom line.You already have the best of advice on how to go about it.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    lets dig a little deeper and really help this brother out.

What TYPE of reels are you using? Model? Brand?

Are there any brothers nearby that could lend a hand and SHOW him how to clean his reels properly?

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Maintenance is a must, there will be plenty of help here on the forum to get it back together right.

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    What kinda of reel we talking about here. If its spinning you should just be able to take the cover off and easily lube it and clean it. Just dont open the bail part as the spring will come flying out and its a pain to get back in there. :wink:

8. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    If it's a Shimnoa reel no need to worry :wink:

9. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Any reel that is seeing service needs a little cleaning and lubing now and then, but you're right about the shimano not seeming to need it as often. I've still got and use the shimano baitcaster my dad bought when I was 12. I'm 43 now, and it still works as good as the day it was new, but has had several cleaning and lubrication sessions over the years.