Reel Question

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by FireWater, Apr 11, 2007.

1. FireWater

FireWater New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey all,

I am looking at new fishing reels for larger cat's. The reels that I have are AG 5000 and I think 5500. I have noticed at lot of talking about the 7000 what do you think? Stick with the 5000's or the 7000. Or what would you buy???

Thanks

2. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    For bigger fish you will need to use heavier line the 5500 will not hold much heavy line. I have a couple of the 7000 and they are great reels and will hold more line.

3. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Go large..

7000 is great..

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have been using the garcias for about 15 years, i love them all. like bettle said the 7000's hold more line especially if you run 40lb. mono like i do. however, if you want to save a little money the 6000 and 6500 series work fine, and are capable of holding enough 30 or 40lb. mono to suit most people. If you want to go even bigger, I have a couple of 10000's that hold enough line to go from your house to the river. lol. They are all nice reels and i just suggest you try to choose one that feels right in your hands, and is balanced well enough for the rod you have.

5. FireWater

FireWater New Member

State:
    Texas
    That is what I was thinking.. Wal-Mart has the 7000 for about $100.00. Thanks for the help.

6. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That's about all there is to say about it. The 7000 is by far the most versitle of the big cat reels as far as line capacity, gearing, and ease of throwing. It will last for years with the right care.

Good luck and enjoy.

7. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i run a 6000 with 50 pound braided on it and i love it... just my 2 cents, but as has been said, just get the one u r most comfortable with

8. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    The 7000 is a great choice for heavier line, but why not try braid on the smaller reel.

9. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It depends on what type fishing you do. If you are fishing from a boat, the 6500 with #50 or #65 power pro will probably do fine. If you will be bank fishing the 6500's are very tough to cast with power pro. I only bank fish and have 6500c3 and 7000c3's. I use 12' rods and breakaway mono. I will soon replace the 6500's with 7000's because I can cast the 7000's farther and they of course hold more line. I wish I could cast the power pro with confidence, but I can't. But to answer your question, I would go with the 7000 series. Good luck.

10. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i just purchased a new 7000ic3 and i cant wait to use it good real should last a lifetime

11. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ohh yeah make sure you get the new ones with th carbon matrix drags

12. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    You have just made a wise choice brother!!!

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would use the 5600 for channel catfishing, and get a 6000, 6500C3, or 7000.

14. Bluerider

Bluerider New Member

State:
    Bethalto, IL
    I use 6600 Rockets with 65# Powerpro and 7000c3i's with 80# Powerpro.

5000 series Ambassadeurs will handle large fish but just don't have the line capacity if you hook a real trophy that keeps making long runs on you.

My money is on the 7000c3i, I bought 2 a few months back and don't see myself using anything else for the big boys.

15. pokechoke

pokechoke New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the info