Reel Purchase

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Terry Day, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    OK! I have read most of the posts on what the best catfish reel is. I currently use spin cast equipment and want to make the switch to bait cast equipment. I am looking at the Abu 6500 C3, 6500 TCCF or the Shamano Cardiff 400A. I like the 400A but am not sold on the little switch to initiate the line clicker.

Any advice would be appreciated. I have a lake across the street from my house, so I should be able to practice and get proficient with the new equipment before spring fishing begins.

Thanks

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am a big abu fan, I cant speak about the shimano I dont have one..My thoughts are you cant go wrong with either the 6500 or 6500 tccf...I have had several of them for over 5 years, they are still going strong even without cleaning or greasing them..If I had to pick one I would cose the 6500 tccf, just because of the power handle and extra bearing..I caught my biggest fish to date a 50-lb flathead on a 6500 tccf.

3. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Thanks Flathunter,

Maintenance is an issue here. I have read several posts about the trustworthiness of the Abu's.

Haven't read anything on the Shimano 400A.

4. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I have a Shimano 400A that was given to me. Compared to the Abu 6500c3, and the 6500c4 that I have, I'm thinking of giving the 400 away. Just my opinion.

Ray

5. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Thanks Rainman4U2,

Ray, I appreciate the response. That's the kind of information (first hand) that I am looking for!

Do you have you Abu's on a median heavy rod? If so, what brand and length?

Terry Day

6. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Yes, two of them are on 8ft MH American Premier Rods that can be purchased through Catfish Connection(See the sponsors above). I currently have 2 red splash rods, and will be getting two blue ones in the spring to match my reels. Rods are your choice, and you need to buy what works best for you. Ugly Stick makes excellent rods that you can purchase at Wallyworld. The price pretty much equals out in the long run when you add shipping and handling to the CC order.

I personaly only use 6'6" M Ugly sticks when channel fishing with spinning reels.

I would buy one rod, use it extensively, see how it works for you, and then decide if you want more of that type, or if you want to try a different rod to see how it works for you.

Ray

7. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Rainman4U2

I currently use 7' ugly sticks on my spin casting rigs. Would 8 footers give me more distance on a cast with a bait casting rig (Abu 6500)?

Would you use egg, bell or no roll sinkers on the Missouri River with a lot of current? I'm leaning toward the no roll! Had my line wound up like a spring last time I went out - using egg sinkers. Will probably make my own since I have a never ending source of lead!

Need to practice casting!!! Been throwing spin casers forever. Will need to learn how to use my thumb!

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I have an Abu 6500, and the drag system is so puny that I can't crank the drag down tight enough to skate a 10# blue cat along the top of the water below a powerhouse, where there is a swift current. Also, the clicker is very quiet, compared to a Penn.

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I have a abu 5500 (for bass, and stuff)....... a abu 7000, and a abu 9000. The 7000 is new and I love it! And the 9000 is very old and its been through alot and its diffently my favorite reel.
    Theres still nothing wrong with the 9000 but I just recently lost a peice off it that I need....... :crying: :crying: :crying: I like mine on medium-heavy action rods. I've never used a Shimano 400 though.

But to be completely honest my "Overall Favorite reels" are Penn reels. :)

good luck :)

10. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Terry, the longer the rod, the longer the cast. If you load up a 8' MH rod with a 6oz gill, and put on a 4oz sinker(hopefully it won't break the rod), it won't cast as far as a 10' MH rod set up the same way. It is the whole fulcrum effect.

Ray

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yep, your right. Good point.

I like using 10-11 foot MH rods for shore fishing. I use them for Saltwater fishing and freshwater fishing. And if you are trying to cast along way, you may want to use a shock leader to help you not break your line while casting.

12. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Thanks to all who responded,

You can never have enough information when trying to make a decision that will help you land the once in a life time cat.

It sounds like it is between the Abu and the Penn. To be honest with you all I haven't really checked out the Penn. Guess its time to go back to Cabelas (5 miles from my house) and do some research.

Thanks again

13. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Hey rain I'll buy the 400A from ya. burt if you want a brut of a reel get a Penn

14. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Thanks to all who responded,

You can never have enough information when trying to make a decision that will help you land the once in a life time cat.

It sounds like it is between the Abu and the Penn. To be honest with you all I haven't really checked out the Penn. Guess its time to go back to Cabelas (5 miles from my house) and do some research.

Thanks again