Reel Problems

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by KingKAt35, Jul 6, 2006.

1. KingKAt35

KingKAt35 New Member

State:
    Kansas City Missouri
    I have a Silstar powerpak 600. The reel was working great last system. Took it out this season and I get it to go 20 ft. Starts to come off the reel good nd then it seems like it catches and stops. Tried the 2oz weight test to get the spool speed and drag set right but no matter how loose the 2 the weight wont drop. PLease help. Thanks

2. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    That sounds kind of odd... maybe check and see if some of the line didnt manage to get caught between the spool and the frame (in the little separation between them). I have found out that was a problem of mine with one of my reels after I took it apart.

3. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    It may need a good cleaning and lube job.

4. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Thats a spincast reel right? Well yeah i'd say lube it up and open it to clean it if you can. Give a little more details and im sure some of the guys will help you out.

5. KingKAt35

KingKAt35 New Member

State:
    Kansas City Missouri
    No its a Bait casting reel. I only fished with it once last season. I think when I stored it for the winter i never loosened the drag so it was stored all winter with the drag set.

6. KingKAt35

KingKAt35 New Member

State:
    Kansas City Missouri
  7. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    It sounds like your cast control is too tight.

8. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    take a cast with it and look at the reel as soon as it does it,dont reel at all...check to see if the line has jumped up around the "cap" on the back of the level wind{the place the paw goes in},i had this same problem with a tidewater reel,i couldnt figure it out until i looked at the reel after it did it once and seen the line was jumping up and getting caught on the cap...if the line is jumping your brake is set to light..kinda like a mini back lash......take the cap off the cast control{lil nob under the start drag} there will be a round piece of metal in the cap,you can pull that out,pull it out and see if there is a dent in it,if there is a dent in it simply turn it around where the dent is facing down,after awhile you may have to replace that peice of metal,you can use a peice of soda can as a shim.
    you only need to do all this if the reel is still doing this after you tightin your brake and it still does it after the brake is tighten as far as itll go.
    but first before ya go to takin the reel apart just mess with the brake a bit and see if that helps,if it dont then try as i suggested...good luck

9. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I would pull the line off by hand and reel it back on the reel . what weight are you tring to cast out , I know you said 2oz test but is that the weight you are using? if not adjust the free spool tension with the weight you are going to use.

10. KingKAt35

KingKAt35 New Member

State:
    Kansas City Missouri
    Im using a 2oz weight on 30lb test to test the reel. I can loosened the drag and the little knob that controls the spool spped and it still does the same thing.

11. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    you may have at end of season last year had a minor backlash, and it may have set up a knot in spool trying pulling all line off cutting it off if you have to and respool. respooling is the key to the start of every fishing year. good luck and hope this solves your problem

12. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    If it is a braided line it may have pulled down into itself. When it does it can stick tight and it the same problem as the knot.

13. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

since everything else has failed you could pull the line off by hand and see if it catches are just replace the line and see if that helps. It maybe something else but I always start with the simple stuff first.

14. KingKAt35

KingKAt35 New Member

State:
    Kansas City Missouri
    Well it wasnt the line after all. I broke the reel all t he way down aand oiled everything up. Put it back together with the line still on t he spool and tied on a 3oz weight and it did the same thing, so next I just kinda lossened all t he end cap screws a lil bit and hello she flies again. Thanks for all the replies and help. I t was greatly appreciated. Seems to me that everything was overtightened. Thanks again Brothas.