Reel problems - Abu 6501C3

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Fry Guy, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I have only taken my Abu 6501C3 out twice fishing and have only had it for about a month. The second time I took it out I was having problems with the drag. No matter how far either way I turn it, it does not tighten down enough. In the middle it will give me some drag but I can still easily pull line out by hand so wouldn't be able to even set the hook. I haven't abused it at all and have stored it indoors with the drag loose like your supposed to. Does anybody have any idea what is going on?

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Did you oil the drag? Sounds almost like you got oil on the drag disk.

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ben; The star drag only tightens clockwise.

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Fry, Did you buy the reel new or used? If the drag washers aren't coated in oil making them slip, you might be missing one of the drag spacers ( the silver steel ones or the fiber ones.) There should be a stack of them If I remember right there should be three steel ones and four fiber ones or the other way around. You should look up the schematic on the abu website. There is also supposed to be a black plastic cup spacer directly under the star drag. Take off the handel and unscrew the star to see if its there. If all the parts are there wash the washers in dawn dishwashing soap and a cloth or soft toothbrush to get all the oil off then pat dry and air dry for an hour. Watch hoh they are stacked so you can put them back. I'm sending you a pm if you call Maybe I can talk you through it. I take my 6500 and 7000's completely apart twice a year weather they need it or not.

5. Ryan

Ryan New Member

State:
    Crystal, Minnesota
    What type of line do you have on it? If you have a superline on it, do you have some mono backing on it first? Superlines won't cinch up on the spool and will slip if you don't have some mono backing on the spool. This will often times seem like a drag problem like you described. Another option is to wrap a few wraps of masking tape on the spool before you put the line on.

6. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Yes I bought the reel brand new out of the box and no I didn't oil the drag. I only used it once and not for very long then it sat in my house for like five days and now the drag wont tighten down. I'll give some of those ideas a try I guess and hopefully something works. Thanks.

7. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    you should get rid of it and get a penn or shimano.

8. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Ok. I'll just throw my new reel away.

9. Ryan

Ryan New Member

State:
    Crystal, Minnesota
    If it's brand new and you're using superline, try my suggestion. Just make sure that when your "drag is slipping" it's not just your line spinning on the spool. It's the easiest fix and that's my bet.

10. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    :grin-big: :grin-big: :grin-big:
    Now that's a sense of humor!!!:D

11. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    I am having the same problem with a new 7000. My wife used it and left the drag tightened down. The next time out it didn't matter where the Star wheel was set the line would feed right off. Kept messing with it and it gradually started improving. I have several 6500's and have never had this problem before. I normally don't leave my drag very tight unless I am in lots of brush.

12. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Sorry long day. I kept the drag loose when I stored it, hopefully it's just the line I have on it or something like that.