reel problem

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by channelcathunter64, Jan 24, 2008.

1. channelcathunter64

channelcathunter64 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i was spooling my new abu and the line seemed to favor the right side and the right side of the reel had more line on it when i was finished? i took the end of the line and walked off the line all the way down to where u could see the spool and retried with the same results. im sure that i kept the same amount of tension the whole time i was spooling it and the line guide thing that moves left to right didnt hang up on the right side of reel. so do u guys have any suggestions, has this ever happened to yah'll.

2. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I have that before. not sure why. going to watch this thread and see what happens.

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    i've had this happen before to. i'm not sure how your are spooling your reel? with the line spool on the floor, someone else holding the line spool or a line spooling station. try this, next time, make sure your tie your knot directly in the middle of the spool on your reel. make sure the line is coming off the line spool as is going onto your reel. try tightning your drag all the way before spooling the reel. if the line is still favoring the right side, manually feed the line to the left to equal the line across the spool. always keep good tension on the line when spooling.

hope this helps!!
    good luck!!:big_smile:

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    i should of added this in my last post. what I like using for spooling my reels is the berkley line spooling station. it's awesome. can find it in most outdoor catalogs like Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops, etc. Sells for around $27 I believe. This handy device will spool both bait-casters and spin-cast reels. It accepts different size spools of line and will keep equal amount of tension on the line. All you have to do is, tie your knot onto the reel, set the tension on the line spool and crank on the reel handle. I like to keep my reels about one-eighth of an inch from being completely full. This helps alleviate back-lash and promotes casting distance.:big_smile:

5. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Thats a good question Blake I've had the same problem from time to time in the past. It will be interesting to see what the other post have to say.

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    hi blake! lastly I want to include. Your reel may have to many or to few drag washers. Sometimes this can affect the balance of the spool on your reel. This can make the line favor one side opposed to the other when spooling line. Do you keep the reel level when spooling line? Also, Bass Pro Shops has tech support on fishing reels. Sorry I don't have the number. Just get the spring fishing catalog. Should be listed in there.

Hope this helps!!:big_smile:

7. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I had some Penn 220's that would do this also, and the way I got it stopped was to hold the line with my index finger and thumb and move my hand back and fourth with the level-wind keeping tension on the line. I havent had the problem happen anymore. In the previous post it was mentioned about tieing the line off on the middle of the spool it is REAL important! I hope this helps.:wink:

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Maybe you are using line that is too heavy on one side. Just turn it over or load your spool upside down and backwards.:0a26:

9. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i have had this problem also but dont have the answer either ,sorry :tounge_out:

10. moriverfish

moriverfish Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I see this all the time when I'm spooling my reels. I think what happens when the line loads up on one side is there is pressure from your other hand that you hold the line with. Just hold the line to the other direction as it is reeled on and it will straighten right out. I've seen guys do this with the spooling machines too. Hope this helps.

11. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Either your spool is not centered in the reel or the line guide is bent.
    Jake