Reel or no reel

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by shingman6, Mar 20, 2008.

1. shingman6

shingman6 New Member

State:
    South Carolini
    I was just woundering if most of you use a reel or no reel for catching crappie if you use a reel what brand name do you use?

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Wow, I just had a flashback to 35+ years ago when I just used a spool of line, a hook, a split shot, and a bobber. :cool2:

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I just use whatevers handy,Usually a 6 ft med action spinning combo or my ultralight spinning rig.

4. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I have a Crappie stick no-reel but it mostly gets used for pond bluegill.I like using it and a ultra lite of any kind.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use anywhere from a 5-7 foot rod, with ultralight shimano reels, except one is a rapala reel. i use silverthread an 40 in 6# for line.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    7ft spinning rod with 12# line. my crapy hole is muddy hence the 12# it lets me pull the deeper snags free. you can also cast if they want it horizontal that day.

7. swmo guy

swmo guy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use a 12 foot rod with a pinnacle reel, 4 # line.

8. nuts1968

nuts1968 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use a Wally Marshall crappie rod and reel from the BPS. Works well.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    In 55+ years I have collected and used 18 inch ice fishing rods to 20 foot telescopic poles with and without guides.I used reels attached to the butt and the line went up the center of the pole that you threaded with a wire, open faced spinning,closed face spinning and under spin.They all had their "spots" for use from wading,bank,boat,under docks,fishing out of a truck inner tube,walking logs to up in a tree hanging out over a hole.

I also used some assorted sizes down to 3 3/4 inch diameter "Alvey" hand reels by their selves and "Wire Tied" to poles without guides.

Also the Cuban Yo-Yo as we call the hand reels.When the water is up and the Crappie are in the Willow thickets,you can cut a hole for the boat to get up in,let it quiet down and hand line with them.The same works for grass mats.I used a "Go-Devil" outboard to get in and out of the grass mats.Believe me,their is some great fishing at times in the Willows and out under those mats if you can get there.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

10. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky