Reel Oil

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by Ahquabi_Master, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I'm working on disassembling all of my reels, cleaning them, oiling them, and putting them back together for a fishing season that is due sooner or later here in Iowa. What kind of reel oil do you all find works the best? What should I not use? Let me know...

2. conalj3

conalj3 New Member

State:
    nebraska
    I have been using auto tranny fluid for years without any issues:wink:

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    i would recommend Quantum Hot Sauce. i have sent reels to Bass Pro Shops for servicing and this is the stuff they use. Quantum Hot Sauce works on a molecular level meaning that is penetrates the porous surfaces of metal protecting from wear. Just like synthetic oil does in a car engine. You can buy the Quantum Hot Sauce at Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas and maybe Sportmans Warehouse. This stuff works great and you can definently tell the difference in smoothness when using your reels.

:0a26:
    Mark

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I totally agree with this post. This oil works great and makes the reel operation extra smooth.

5. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Do you use the grease or the oil? Abu 6500 reels for instance.

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    where do you get this hot sauce

7. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    i like using both. the bearings on the reel i will use the oil and for the gears, i go for the grease. just check your owners manual for the proper lubrication specs.

8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    hey Pat. i get the Quantum Hot Sauce from Cabelas. I'm not sure, but I think Walmart might sell it to. Check in the sporting goods aisle. Bass Pro Shops has it. Get there catalog.

9. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I use Silicote Reel Lube with PTFE by Abu Garcia a biodegradable synthetic lubricant that retains consistency in hot or cold climates.

10. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have been using Real Magic for a couple of years with no problems. I even use it on mono line to help reduce memory.

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Quantum hot sauce oil and grease. I got mine at BPS. Best stuff Ive ever used.

12. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    If it spins during the cast I use oil, if it's only turning on the retrieve I use grease.

13. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I grease the shafts and oil the bearings. Just be careful near the drag washers.

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I would say that more plain old Vaseline has been used successfully simply because it has been around as long as reels.It kept all of the antique reels you see going.Next is Marvel mystery oil.It was there too.It is also a great cold weather gun oil.A old Korean war Marine said it was all that would work that they had one time in the cold and thankfully someone had a can.Penn Lubes have been around for a long time.I also use Aba Garcia lubes and I think that they are great.Some folks are getting the creepy stuff creeping in the wrong places.Some of the sealed and shielded bearings ain't letting any lube in anyway.

Exposed level winds-Graphite like for locks or powdered Moly.Both lube and neither attract or retain dust,dirt or grit like oils and greases.Just a little goes a long way.

Over lubing has been a major problem for my 50+ years.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

15. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    i like using Reel Magic too. This stuff works great on fishing line. I also like to spray the metal covers on the reel when I'm storing them.