The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on disassembling all of my reels, cleaning them, oiling them, and putting them back together for a fishing season that is due sooner or later here in Iowa. What kind of reel oil do you all find works the best? What should I not use? Let me know...

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
i would recommend Quantum Hot Sauce. i have sent reels to Bass Pro Shops for servicing and this is the stuff they use. Quantum Hot Sauce works on a molecular level meaning that is penetrates the porous surfaces of metal protecting from wear. Just like synthetic oil does in a car engine. You can buy the Quantum Hot Sauce at Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas and maybe Sportmans Warehouse. This stuff works great and you can definently tell the difference in smoothness when using your reels.

:0a26:
Mark

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
i would recommend Quantum Hot Sauce. i have sent reels to Bass Pro Shops for servicing and this is the stuff they use. Quantum Hot Sauce works on a molecular level meaning that is penetrates the porous surfaces of metal protecting from wear. Just like synthetic oil does in a car engine. You can buy the Quantum Hot Sauce at Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas and maybe Sportmans Warehouse. This stuff works great and you can definently tell the difference in smoothness when using your reels.

:0a26:
Mark
I totally agree with this post. This oil works great and makes the reel operation extra smooth.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I use Silicote Reel Lube with PTFE by Abu Garcia a biodegradable synthetic lubricant that retains consistency in hot or cold climates.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I have been using Real Magic for a couple of years with no problems. I even use it on mono line to help reduce memory.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I would say that more plain old Vaseline has been used successfully simply because it has been around as long as reels.It kept all of the antique reels you see going.Next is Marvel mystery oil.It was there too.It is also a great cold weather gun oil.A old Korean war Marine said it was all that would work that they had one time in the cold and thankfully someone had a can.Penn Lubes have been around for a long time.I also use Aba Garcia lubes and I think that they are great.Some folks are getting the creepy stuff creeping in the wrong places.Some of the sealed and shielded bearings ain't letting any lube in anyway.

Exposed level winds-Graphite like for locks or powdered Moly.Both lube and neither attract or retain dust,dirt or grit like oils and greases.Just a little goes a long way.

Over lubing has been a major problem for my 50+ years.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

1 - 15 of 15 Posts