Reel Maintenance

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by FlatGetter, Mar 2, 2006.

1. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think cleaning up your reel and regreasing the gears help your reel alot. If you are fishing from a boat its not as important, but if you are bankfishing on sandbars you get sand in your reels and they dont work right. What do you think?

2. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I clean my abu's about fore times a year. They are always pretty clean when I open them up but I clean them any way. I just like to inspect them and keep them in top shape.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if you bankfish its a very good idea to clean your reels about twice a year, or more if you prefer. i, unfortunately am a lazy a@# and only clean mine about once every 2 years. its amazing that my reels have held up this long seeing how hard i am on them. its a good idea to keep your reels off the ground too, especially if it rains! even if you dont use rod holders put your reel on top of a rock, small peice of wood or something. if i get sand on my reels i'll dunk them in the water a couple times. better to have water than sand in there.

4. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    I fish in some very dirty, wet, and just plain ol messy places. I clean and relube my reels at least every other week. I clean and inspect my rods after every trip. Once you get into the habit and work out your own system it just becomes routine and doesn't take very long.

5. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I also clean my reel regulary, Sometime I fish where there's alot of sand.

6. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    I am a strong advocate of keeping your reels cleaned and lubed but I don't do it nearly as often as you guys. I guess I should explain that a bit. I don't take them completely apart for cleaning and relube but about every year or two. I do look over the level wind and oil it frequently.

Most of my fishing is from a boat. Even when I go bank fishing I am on hard packed clay and rocks so it is not as bad as sand along the river.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Looked who the cat dragged in !
    Hey Corn. Dont be such a stranger.

8. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I clean a grease my reels at least 4 times a year. More if fishing in sand.

9. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I take each of my reels apart every winter and clean and grease them. If something happens during the season that I feel they need cleaned, I will clean 'em. There would be nothing worse than having a reel seize up when your bringing in the lunker of a lifetime cause you were too lazy to do proper maintenance.

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i dont clean my reels as much as i should. i think the best thing for them (like said)is to keep them out of the sand and muddy water though. im pretty picky about where they lay.

11. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I don't clean my reels near as often as I should. I think the older ones were a little more rugged than the new ones are. I have an Abu 5000 that is 31 years old and never taken apart and cleaned, still works like it did in the beginning. I don't think the reels today will hold up to that. My newer reels I do clean and lube, I think they need it. My reels never touch the ground as a rule. They were always propped up so they didn't touch, now they sit in a rod holder and never touch the ground. About the only dirt, sand, etc. that they will ever get on them is in the back of my truck or off the line when I reel them in.

12. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I am a bank fisherman, but thankfully I dont have too much trouble with sand, since most of the places that I fish are either rock or hard clay. I do wipe my rods and reels down with a damp cloth after every outting though, so that any would-be dirt doesn't get into them, and it keeps em nice and shiny too :D I take mine apart about twice a year to fully clean them out and oil/grease then insides. I think its helped mine out a lot.

:0a26: