Reel maintenance - I have a question if I may!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by pk_powell, Feb 24, 2007.

1. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have not cleaned my reels from last season. Shoot, I didn't really get to go that much but I went a little bit! Should I clean the reels and put new line on? Two of my reels are closedface spinning the other is a saltwater rig with openface spinning. It has 65 pound powerpro on it. The other two have 20 pound line. I want to be able to cast quite aways instead of throwing it out and letting current take it down stream. Does anyone have step by step instructions on how to go about this before I commense fishing for the season?:big_smile:

2. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Hey Pat, im not familar with the models of reels you have. There is a section on reel maintience in the library maybe that wiil help. As far as the line is concerned i change mine before the start of a new fishing season, or whenever the line shows evidence of wear nicks ect. Heat also affects mono so i usually change my line a couple of times during fishing season. Its always a good idea to keep your reels clean and free of sand and dirt, i usually clean mine after each fishing trip. LIke i said i couldnt help you when it comes to taking your reels apart for oiling ect.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ya I think its time to clean them, and respool them. But I clean my reels after every trip and I respool my often.

4. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The power pro should be OK, and I would probably change the mono. Your reels manufacture should some info on there web site as how to clean and maintain the reels.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My experience has been that I have handicapped myself on a spin cast reel by spooling 20 lb test line. Especially if I am after distance. You have to trade off one for the other...distance or stronger line, but I don't think you can have your cake and eat it too. Far as cleaning the reels, remove the dust cover from the spin cast and check the cleanliness. If that area is bad, clean them... if it is slightly dirty, I'd just wipe it off and put a little lube on it. The area of the real with the gears is an enclosed area and it is doubtful that it was contaminated unless you flat did not take care of the equipment to begin with. If your in an area where you can catch lLARGE cats you may want to change your line 2 or 3 times a season. If your in an area like I'm in, changing line about once every two or three years should suffice - never catch fish anyhow. LOL

6. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hi Pat,i try to respool my poles every season.ive been doing that to mine while the weather has been cold...cant wait to put them in the water,i no its a little soon.but like everyone says.spring fever.have a great day fishing Pat,God loves us all.:cool2:

7. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Do you guys think CajonRed would work on my reels? When I bought them brand new they came spooled with 20 pound test,so what about 20 pound test Cajon?:confused2:

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think cajon red will do you a good job. If it came with 20# test then you can use the same. If the power pro is one season old and no damage then you can save some money and use again this year.:lol: :smile2:

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    For the manufacturers recommended maintenance and service and these instructions are good for all brands of reels.Copy them and you will have them forever and not have to remember or search for them each year.Go to www.zebco.com ,then go to customer service,then go to maintenance,then go down the page to the correct reel.I love you Brothers and Sisters,peewee

10. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I love you very much and you have not returned any of my PM's to you. I presumed you were too ill to do so. I am tickled pink that you are on! John MRR said he tried to call you but first time he got a lady saying you didn't live there and next time he got an answering machine. Anyway the point of this post is: What kind of Grease and oil should I use on my reels,the Zebco Maintence did not specify just said a light oil and grease. Where do I obtain this light oil and grease? Is there a certain brand? Take care love ya!:sweet_kiss:

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Change your mono each off season, The power-pro should be fine, Just cut off the last 4 or 5 feet. That is going to contain the most nicks and wear. I used to take apart the back of my 33's and 888 reels and clean off all grease but they never seemed to perform the same afterward. Too many matings of plastic and metal. Its like they didn't want to meet back up properly. I would advise you to just take the spool off, and then pop off the back and clean all the grease with hot running water with a toothbrush and a cotton swab and lots of DAWN. Then let dry and re-grease and oil. That way you can have a fresh reel and don't have to take it all the way down.

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I just use the ABU Garcia grease and oil. You can get it anywhere in the fishing section, Wally world K-mart ....

13. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Sounds ta me like Skip, has got it all in the right places....Follow his lead.....And when in doubt, change the line.......

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I am going through one of my very bad times,and it is doing it's best to whup me.It might kill me,but it ain;t going to whip me.I don;t know why but some things I can answer and others I just cain;t come up with anything.I don;t know why,but I have a lot of messed up tries.I sometimes spend hours on a answer and then loose it,or I just cain;t get my thoughts out through my fingers on here.Sorry.What all is me just don;t work together very good any more.I am having a rough fight staying off pain meds.I think it will be a lot worse if I ever start them.Now my soul has been healthy,is healthy and feels great!!! I may not be able to answer you but I still love to hear from you all.Please ask John to try again.I would not miss him for the world.As for the grease and oil.Just look for reel grease and reel oil at Wall-mart,BP or such.Use tiny amounts,as it only takes a little and too much will get in the wrong place and make it malfunction.I use a flat toothpick to put a drop of oil here and a dab of grease there as needed.You can dip the end of a clean broom straw in oil and reach all kinds of tight places.Please ask John to call again.I go off line at 9:00-9:30 pm for phone calls.I love you Brothers and Sisters.

15. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    you can get reel oil and grease at any sporting goods or tackle shop. I believe i bought some at walmart. The "better" grease and oil I use on my abu's I get at Bass Pro.

16. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    PK my wife fishes with zebco's. Some have spider wire others have monofilament 17 lb test. If I don't change the ones with monofilament a couple times a year they retain memory and cuts way down on her casting distance.
    The inside of the front cover, I wax with car paste wax, also the part that turns and picks up the line. Run your finger over that part and feel for nicks. If any are found sand them off.
    On the gears inside the back cover, I just use a small amount of white lithium grease.

17. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    3 in 1 oil works great for me.