Reel magic..or WD40?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by ramon06, May 6, 2010.

1. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I wouldnt do the WD-40, i dont like polluting the waters I fish. You might not hurt the water but everyone doin it yes. I dont know if the reel magic is any better but I use the reel magic on th einside of my reels only. I hear its safe to spray on your line to help with memory, but I dont really need it as I use braid.

2. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I wouldn't put wd-40 on mono line.

3. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I've never used reel magic, but I reckon its better for the line than WD-40. WD-40 gets gummy after awhile too.

4. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    on the insides of a reel I use either liquid silicone or gun graphite lube to lubricate the moving parts on the inside. Works great

5. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    on the inside of my reels i use a good quality machine oil.i personally would not use wd-40 on my line due to the smell,i want every advantage i can have over a weary flathead.i use mono,and don't have any problem with memory,at that point its time to change your line.imho

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Reel Magic will do a quality job for you. Do not use WD 40 on your fishing line.

7. beubanks

beubanks Member

State:
    tennessee
    If you go to WD40 website it tells you that WD40 active ingredient is fish oil it is a water displacement agent WD40 stands for (water displacement#40 ) I really don't think it would pollute the water but I don't use it on reels or guns except to clean

8. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    I have used WD40 on my guns and to clean my reels. I am 56 and have never ever seen any gumming of WD40 on any thing. Can anyone show me what they call gumming of WD40? WD40 has not gummed up anything I have ever seen. If you would use braid you would not need to put anything on the line except a hook. LOL Mono will always have some memory that is hard to get rid of. Even new line will have some to me it is just some thing you will have to live with. Heat will make it have more memory so store your rods in a cool place. Do not let them inside of truck in the heat of the day. Always keep mono line cool when stored in the summer.

9. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    USED WD-40 ON THEIR BAITS A WHILE BACK AND WERE KILLING EVERYONE AT THE DOCK....FOR MEMORY I JUST USE A SPRAY BOTTLE WITH WATER... AND FOR THE INSIDES I USE MARVEL MYSTERY OIL

I DONT SOAK LINE ANYMORE WITH ANYTHING.... DID THAT WITH VEGGIE OIL ON A FEW THINGS BUT IT GETS MESSY AFTER ABOUT 3 MONTHS :(

GOT TOO EXCITED TOO SOON :(

LeRoy

10. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    IM NOT SURE IF IM READING THIS RIGHT BUT I DONT BELIEVE WD-40 "HAS" FISH OIL

Myth: WD-40 contains fish oil.
    Fact:
    Consumers have told us over the years that they have caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40. We believe this legend came from folks assuming that the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry Charlie®, it just ain’t so.
    WD-40 Company has taken steps to respect and conserve the environment, and encourages its users to do the same. While WD-40 can be used to help protect fishing equipment from rust and corrosion, WD-40 Company does not recommend using WD-40 to attract fish.

11. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    If ya use WD-40 to clean stuff and keep it fresh so it never has a chance to build up or get a bunch on there to evaporate it won't gum anything up, but if it ain't all wiped off or get some in a place it can build up there will be problems. I had a rifle bolt that got to the point it wouldn't dent a primer. Its good for what it was made for, but folks use it as a protectant and put a lot on to prevent rust, it will get gummy under those conditions.

12. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    in case you didn't notice wd is for water displacement also it's supposed to be a solvent so i wouldn't use it on mono. if you're using mono and want to set its memory soak you spool of line in water for about 15min before splooling it on your reel then while spooling it up pass the line through a towel to dry the line and as its spooled on it will take a set to the reel spool.

13. cfx90

cfx90 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    You should never use WD40 on the gears in the reel or on the line. Use a light coating of marine grease and/or reel oil depending on the part needing lubricating. Too much will make it feel clunky and slow.

As for line memory, buy the good stuff and be done with it. Sufix is top of the line, for catfishing look for Tritanium Plus since you'll want the abrasion resistance, it's some GOOD stuff. I can store a rod all winter and after the first cast the memory is gone.

Or get some braid.