Reel-line rating question

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by tomcat85, Sep 5, 2006.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i was looking on basspro shops at baitcasters and i found one thats in my price range that says 12lb test line could i put 20#'s of test on this?

2. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    i've always done it ,you just won't be able to put as much on cause the dia. is bigger.i'm sure there is probaly some technical reason not to but i hav'nt had any problems

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

you could but the amount of line that the reel holds would be decreased. You could use a braided line to get some of that back though. Becareful not to go trying to catch Moby with bream gear. I know a lot of people enjoy using the lightest gear possible to catch big fish But I am not one of them I try to keep big gear for big fish and ultrlight for small fish.

4. MNwiskers21

MNwiskers21 New Member

State:
    South Saint Paul, MN
    Hello,

I do it all the time, all you need to do is by a line that has a smaller diameter then the # test it is. My favorite line is Berkley Fireline, I use 30 # test but it has diameter of like 8 # mono.

Take Care Everyone!
    Wishin Everyone Good Fishin!

Sincerly, Kevin
    Your Fellow Fisherman

5. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Agree with everyone.... but if you do use braided line on a baitcaster i would first add some mono line to it before applying the braided line... This way the braided line dont cut in on your reel at the base or at the eye..... But you could use 20# mono... but like others have said you would lose some length... but i would say you will be ok with either.... hope this helps....

6. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    You can put braided line on a crappie rig if you want. Just don't go after any big cats. Consider your rod & reel before you go to heavier lines.

7. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I have done it , and will probably do it again. I think though , I have heard that if you put to big of line on what its rated for , it will load up the spool ,possibly causing damage .

8. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    well another thing, your not going to get the maximum casting distance for sure. if that reel is rated for 12 pound line, its probably not going to be suited for big cat fishing.

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Tom, be careful about exceeding the line test rating for your reel and rod. Just remember this: If you abuse your equipment through miss use and it fails, you are not saving any money, you'll just have to replace it sooner.:smile2:

10. nitro

nitro New Member

State:
    Dover, TN
    Technically, the line rating for rod and reel should match, and shouldn't be exceeded. I know we have all done it, but it is really just asking for trouble. If you are going to do some serious catfishing, I would suggest at least a 3500 series reel, minimum. Also about braid, you should always back it with enought mono to cover the spool. Not only to keep from diggin in, but it is so slick that it will slip on the spool. jmho

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If you look at the Abu's, the reel isn't rated as to a recommended weight capacity, but the amount of line of a given weight that can be spooled is given. For instance, on the 6500's, I believe its 245 yards of 14 lb test. But, most catfishermen using 6500's are probably going with 20lb and higher test lines.

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My two cents is with Gadzooks. I believe the reel will give a recommend rating for the test used with it... but it would work anywhere from sewing thread up to some pretty heavy stuff... the performance of your reel MAY be decreased if you do load it up. However, I believe the line rating is more important for the pole... most of the rods have a rating just above the handle which tells you the poles length, action (ultra, light, medium, etc), line and lure weight. This is what is important to have in balance. You can hold your reel in your hand and cast it... the line will go out. But put it on a pole and cast it and it will go much futher. You gotta balance your outfit for the rod - not the reel.

13. Mr. Rooster

Mr. Rooster New Member

State:
    Hurst, Texas
    I have read that if you opt to go with too heavy a line for a particular reel, you have to be careful not to wind it on to the spool too tight or you risk damaging the spool on your reel. You also sacrifice some casting distance. Something to consider if fishing from a bank.

Eric