Reel in Question? Please Help!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by ste6168, Sep 1, 2009.

1. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hey guys, I am about to purchase a new (never used) Abu Garcia D6 6600. It seems like a good reel and would be a good deal if I get it. I am wondering if any of you have experience with this reel, ever heard of it, stories about it, etc? Please let me know ASAP so I can make the decision on whether or not to pick it up. Thanks

I know this board moves quick, my reason for posting the question here!

*edit - Here is a link, if you have never heard of the reel before (like me). It seems to me like it maybe be the same type of reel as a C5Mag

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  2. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    with that price i would go with a 6500, alot better than the china made 6600s...

3. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    This is a D6 in question. Far from the Chinese made BCX's :wink:. They were released in 2005, not sure if they still are made though. Factory magnets, has a high speed gear ration (fast retrieve's), large line capacity. Seems like it would be a nice reel for an anchor rod off of piers, a distance caster, etc. I may pick it up, unless someone has some bad/actual experience with it!

4. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Don't assume to fast. If it's made in China, it's a BCX model. I have a 6601CB that is Made In Sweden and is a great reel. I have upgraded mine with a 2 bearing levelwind, bearing cog gear, Smoothe Carbontex drag setup, and a soft grip power handle. I bought mine a Cabela's Bargin cave find and got pretty cheap, so the upgrades still made it less exspensive that a new reel.

5. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    You can't go too wrong with an abu. I've got a couple that are going strong after 20 years.

6. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    oh. that is the suggested retail price of the reel in that link, not how much I would be paying. :wink:

7. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yeah, I have a couple too and I love them. Just wondering about this specific model. I have never heard of them before I saw this one for sale, nor have I ever seen one in person. For the price, I am probably going to pick it up!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would not buy this reel, the line capacity is much less than a 6500, but if your just fishing for channel cats using 10-12lb test it would be ok.

THE 6500 Holds 245yds of 14-lb test.

the reel in question only holds 125 yds of 12 -lb test.