reel help

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by matt, Feb 10, 2006.

1. matt

matt New Member

State:
    Anderson SC
    Have anybody fished with a Silstar Old Fishbonz , or a big fishbonz are they good reels ?????

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Matt, I've fished with several different silstar products in the past. I have mixed views on them. Some of the older silstar products were very durable, although most of the newer stuff seems to me to be junk. The main thing is that we are all limited to equipment that we can afford. If it fits your budget, go ahead and give it a try. If you can afford better, I would definately buy the quality over quantity. With quality it will give you years of use, thus giving you time to build the quantity of equipment you desire. Just my two cents worth. Vern

3. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Matt I have to agree with Vern. I have used two Silstar reels. One was a saltwater spinning reel and it was junk. The other was a ultralight that I caught two salmon in Alaska with, both about 12# and it held up fine. I still have the ultralite and my daughter uses it fishing from trout. But we get what we can afford to use.

Frank

4. G3Morton

G3Morton New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Don't know much about the Silstar reels, but you may want to look at the Okuma brand of reels. They make a baitcasting and spinning reels. Never had one of the spinning reels but I have just recently bought a Okuma baitcaster, and from what I can tell so far, it will hold up just fine.