Reel Gear Ratio's

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Stlnifr, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Stlnifr

Stlnifr New Member

South Carolina
    One other question what would the best gear ratio for retrieving large fish 4-3-1 or 5-3-1 or 6-3-1. My abu's are 5-3-1 the 6500 I am looking at has a 6-3-1 and the penn 320gt2 has a 4-3-1. Any ideas which is the best?
  2. CatHound

CatHound New Member

Generally the lower ratio has more torqueing power and the higher ratio has a faster retrieve (spins more line on the reel per crank of the handle).

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

Bedford, Kentucky
    George, the fast retrieves are exceptionally handy for getting that rig up over a tight spot, but for really powering the heavy brutes to the boat the lower ratios are preferable. It's kind of a catch 22, you can keep up with a fast moving fish or you can overpower a slow moving brute. You can have the best of both worlds though by buying the larger capacity reels that have a slightly smaller Ratio. Vern
  4. slimcat

slimcat New Member

marion kentucky
    The penn 320gti with a 4.5:1 ratio is one of the best on the market for BIG catfishing. It will definelty withstand any cat in freshwater in the U.S. I have some quantum Iron reels with 6.1:1 ratio and they flat out stink as far as reeling in big cats. I would much rather have the lower ratio reel just no lower than 4.0:1 like the 7000s have. It took forever reeling in a 54lb blue during a tournament in high water. From here on out, I will stick to the ole trusty penns.:smile2: