Reel Gear Ratio's

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Stlnifr, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Stlnifr

Stlnifr New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    One other question what would the best gear ratio for retrieving large fish 4-3-1 or 5-3-1 or 6-3-1. My abu's are 5-3-1 the 6500 I am looking at has a 6-3-1 and the penn 320gt2 has a 4-3-1. Any ideas which is the best?

2. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Generally the lower ratio has more torqueing power and the higher ratio has a faster retrieve (spins more line on the reel per crank of the handle).

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    George, the fast retrieves are exceptionally handy for getting that rig up over a tight spot, but for really powering the heavy brutes to the boat the lower ratios are preferable. It's kind of a catch 22, you can keep up with a fast moving fish or you can overpower a slow moving brute. You can have the best of both worlds though by buying the larger capacity reels that have a slightly smaller Ratio. Vern

4. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    The penn 320gti with a 4.5:1 ratio is one of the best on the market for BIG catfishing. It will definelty withstand any cat in freshwater in the U.S. I have some quantum Iron reels with 6.1:1 ratio and they flat out stink as far as reeling in big cats. I would much rather have the lower ratio reel just no lower than 4.0:1 like the 7000s have. It took forever reeling in a 54lb blue during a tournament in high water. From here on out, I will stick to the ole trusty penns.:smile2: