Reel Full? How do you tell?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by lilrivercatman, May 1, 2008.

1. lilrivercatman

lilrivercatman New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi, I just bought an Abu Garcia 6000 from Wally World and ordered 300 yrds of Power Pro 50 lb test(white) . Here is my question though...How do you tell when a reel like that is full? This is my first time owning a reel like this... :wink::confused2:

Also whats that gray plastic piece that flips up on the levelwind( I think?)Whats the purpose of that thing flipping up.

2. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    well....all reels do have how much line they can take.....should be on the box or the side of reel...if not research on google...it will say like 14lb/275yards....of course that is mono....braided will be alot more....it pretty much on judgement. The way i tell...at the top of the spool...i always go to about 1/8 of an inch....if you go to much...it does really reel as smoothly....imo...hope this helps....good luck... lots of good information here...

3. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    You fill it to 1/16 to 1/8 on the spool, if you over fill the reel you will get backlashes real easy. You can tell where the spool is by pushing the thumb bar or button on the side of reel. This will put it in free spin. The thumb rest flips up for cleaning and getting to backlashes easier.

4. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    You should be able to put that entire 300yds on it. I used to do that with my Abu's till I started using mono for backing.
    Keep really good tension on the line when spooling. Run it through a phone book and then put a couple more on top.
    You will be able to tell if you over filled the line will rub.

And put a little bit of backing or electrical tape to allow the line to bite, otherwise you will end up with your line free spinning on the reel. It will feel like your drag is shot.

Go through the library for more line spooling tips.
    good Luck

5. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    End of line should be approximately 1/8" below outside diameter of spool side.

6. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    just spooled my 6500c3 with 65lb power pro and it is 1/8 below and i had quite a bit left out of that 300yrd spool...and it is on tight....

sure liked it when that 45 lb spoonbill ran a bunch of line out 3 good solid and long runs:tounge_out::smile2:

7. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    I believe the piece of plastic that flips up is so that you can get to the spool easier for tying the line

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    FIRST.In almost 63 years I have known some very intelligent folk who could not read or follow instructions for very good reasons.

If the paper with the instructions are missing,the manufacture will send them to you.If you can not read them get someone to read them to you.They will answer these questions.You can most likely relate to the questions very easily with the directions and the reel in your hands.

If by chance you are one who does not believe in reading them or has trouble relating to them.I do not know how to help you on line.Perhaps you could find someone local to help.

We are all different with different skills or lack of.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

9. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Something else to remember though is..that the more line you have on your reel the smother and faster the line will peel off and the father the cast will be ..Im not suggesting however that you over fill it

10. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Pee Wee, I don't really think you get a lot of detail in the little pamphlet that comes with a reel. The guy asked a simple question that had a simple answer that was given quite effectively by more than one responder. Your response appears to try and make the guy look like an idiot or at worst insinuates that he must be illiterate.

Bad Pee Wee!

There is my opinion.

11. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    What if they are in Spanish:tounge_out:

12. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    First of all, like the majority of the posts stated, you want to fill the spool with the line of your choice to within 1/8" from the top of the spool. No less and no more. This amount of line will give you the best castability and drag preformance of your reel. You can judge that amount be eyeballing it or take a small piece of paper an inscribe a mark on it for 1/8" to measure the distance from the top of the line to the top rim of your reel spool.

To answer your question on the gray plastic piece that flips up. That allows you to gain access to the spool easier to tie your line to the spool for filling and for gaining better access to undo those nasty backlashes!!:0a26:

13. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I get a lot of detail out of the little pamphlet that comes with my reels when I read them.Some don't.I am sorry that you have a problem with them.I was just trying to help someone else that may not.

Some are handicapped.Some have been handicapped for almost 63 years.Some handicapped folks learned to explain things for all to understand.

Some folk whom assume that they are smart,intelligent and knowledgeable find fault with and ignore other folks handicaps and would rather try to make it very obvious that someone treated someone else as a idiot when they never thought of such.I explain things the way that I wish some one had explained them to me as a child with dyslexia and as a adult because of the way I think today on medication.This is why I do such today.Instead my educated self styled teachers called me a idiot,stupid and lazy because I did not see as they did.I eventually learned to overcome it by overcoming them.I was still failed because I could do it,but not their correct way.The correct answer mattered not.Apparently they taught many to carry on their ways as I see it regularly.

The real smart people realize that some folk with experience in such explain everything to the best of their ability where folk of all ability's can understand.To single out and explain just for the brilliant is a joke to many of us who are not so gifted.

And your opinion is based on your ideals and your experience.I do not and have not ever tried to make anyone look like a idiot as I believe that to be imposable.Only a idiot can make their selves look as such.I find nothing wrong with being a idiot.A idiot is a idiot due to circumstances beyond their control and is handicapped or crippled in their mind.

I have had a problem most of my life with folk who assume that they know it all and therefore know more about someone and their motives than they do their self.Perhaps the answers you speak of are so simple to you because you assume you are knowledgeable about what you speak of.I disagree.

I love you brother,but I believe you know nothing about me and are basing your belief on why you do would have spoken as I did..I ain't you!

14. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    A open letter to lilrivercatman from peewee.If I offended you,it was not intended and I hope you will forgive me.

Someone thinks that I spoke to you in a manner to insinuate that you are a idiot.His words not mine.I wish to apologize if I offended you as I had no such thoughts.I don't even know you to judge you.

I try to write where all will understand from the know it alls to the know least whom I have found to be the smartest in my belief.I have had a learning disability all of my life and was judged as low as you could go because of it by my educated teachers who often publicly ridiculed me.I eventually learned on my own mostly as they were no help.I found brilliant folk who could not read a manual but could figure sums in their head like a computer does today.They could tear down and repair the most intricate machine.Build anything.Some will be simple all of their life like I am at times as I am on medication now.We all still get by.My post when explaining are meant for ALL.Some one out there may be simple and read it if they can or have someone read it to them.I KNOW this is done FOR A FACT!They are meant for people like me and others who want to and or need help.They are not meant for the know it alls as you can not help someone who has no need for help.

I treated you as I wished you to treat me.People with all the smarts should realize that some need help on all levels.I do as not only have I been there.I AM THERE!I have no idea where you are.It does not matter if I send help that any and all can use.This was my intention.No more,no less.

All of my trying to help folks post are very basic from experience.I am sorry that they offend those without this experience.I think that they should be glad that they have never had it and had the feeling that "I am not like others".Please check out my post.They are like this to be able to help all.Not just ones who feel superior enough to find a very simple one offensive.

I am not bashful.If I wish to offend someone I want them and I to both know it.

I am sorry if I offended anyone with my post on this thread as I did not mean too.I really do not have to try as there seem to be so many who work so hard to be offended.For those reading this who wish,just let me know and I will help you be offended if I can.

I love you Brother.

15. lilrivercatman

lilrivercatman New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Shoot Peewee, no harm done here! You didnt offend me one bit. Dont worry about little things like that! We all have days like that! No harm done here. I got the reel mostly figured out...Except the Power Pro I orded hasnt gotten here yet...LOL Good as could be lol...See ya around...PM sent back. :smile2:

16. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I get some one to read and explain them for me or get help when needed.I learned about Spanish-English Dictionaries in 1964,so I know they have been out a long time in written form.You now have the inter net and Cd's.Such as this is what the BOC is for!:tounge_out:

Chinese and Arabic really give me a fit!How about you?I think all instructions and directions are gradually going over to Chinese.

I found out early on the web that we have very young children,the physically and mentally crippled,handicapped and challenged on here.We have folk who were raised in other countries and some who live in other countries read the BOC.The BOC is read world wide by folk with all levels of skills in everything known to man. (I use all the words for special folk as the words mean exactly the same but some out in left field have missed the boat on words and assume they have the right to change them to suit their self and insist that all others acknowledge their right to force such on you.)

Just think who all may read your post world wide and please try to help as many as you can.I am conscious of this need and I often forget.Simple,yes,when I think to do so,as I wish all to get help.Just because I remember to explain it as I would to a small child,it is because such will most likely read it sooner or later.Even a small child struggling with their native Spanish I hope.

I have to read everything repeatedly and I do mean over and over and over including my own post.I often spend 6 hours to days on MY post.I do not believe that normal folk understand the kind of efferent I take as I cannot understand their ease at such.I am not alone on here!

As you can see,Spanish is often as easy as English for me,and no I don't read it well either.I Think that I have about a dozen words down with "No Comprendi" foremost.

17. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    hahahahaha lol

18. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I believe this post to be a decent honorable post written by a good person who stands up for and tells what they believe in "like it is" in their belief.I like,admire and respect him for such.

I say with no disrespect that unfortunately some of us ARE illiterate and idiots through no fault of ours.This is a truth that we can ignore if we wish,but to do so hurts the ones that are AND the ones that are not.Many do not think of this.I try to remember this,though my memory is very inconsistent along with my life.I will continue to try to help in the very simplest ways as some of us need this and It should not hurt those who don't if they keep the reasons for it in mind.I believe it helps all,not just the normal adults on line who are not familiar with us "others".As I said,I do this from experience and I was taught to this by one who once helped me.

Thank you SkipEye for your post.Far too many think that a sign of their intelligence is to call names and ridicule those different in any way.You defended and rebuked as you believed.You can not ask for more from anyone.I was one of whom you were defending.

I also apologize to you if I offended you.

Until I learn a better way,I will keep trying to be simple enough for our simple members and our children.I hope the Normal folk will understand.

I do mean it when I say that I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

19. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    See!

I rest my case.

20. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congrats on your new Abu 6000 I have one and I love my, but I only use 20lb mono.