Reel for the cabelas King Kat rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by foodsaver, Jan 10, 2006.

1. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have purchased a few of the cabelas King Kat Pro rods and I don't know what reel to pair it with. I am just getting started and can't really afford the ABU Garcia reels or anything in that price range.The rods are medium heavy and they are 8' long. What kind of reel would you guys use with these rods?
    Thanks
    Craig

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I have one of those cabelas rods and I'm gonna put a Abu Garcia 6500 on it
    but You said price was an issue, so you might want to check e-bay to find an abu cheaper.

Abu's and penns are all I use for catfishing, but there are other options. I'm sure some others will chime in and help too.

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I uses Garcia 6000's on my King Kat Pros. However if you use circle hooks and/or didnt care about a clicker Abu 5000's would work fine too. I know a company that sells redonditioned 6000's for like $30 & 5000's for $25.

4. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Welcome to BOC Craig, I would suggest you start by looking at one of our sponsors sites, Catfish Connection. Also sounds like Mellon has a good suggestion there.

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would suggest CC for a new reel, but if price was an issue I could share the info on where I get my recondtioned ones at.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You may also want to try a shakespere tidewater for around 35- bucks..CATFISH CONNECTION does have great prices and selictions.

7. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have been looking for the place that sells the reconditioned reels for weeks! Its how I stumbled across this site. I would greatly appreciate the contact information for that company. I would love to have the ABU 6000's with these rods I just cant afford more then 30 apiece for the reels.
    Thanks
    Craig

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    This guys has been extremely hinest w/ me in my dealings, I hope hes just as good to you. Good luck w/ the King Kat rods, please let me know you like them, I am quickly falling in love w/ mine. $20 a piece, I can be rough w/ them & not worry too much.

9. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    They sure seem to be well made for 20 bucks. I cant wait to get some reels on them so I can try them out. Do you guys spool up with power pro or what?

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Berkley Big Game/Berkley Big Cat or Red Caujin for me

11. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I haven't gotten any response yet from the guy with the reconditioned reels on ebay. I don't suppose anyone can tell me of another place where I can buy abu 6000's for under $35 a piece I would really like to find a website I heard about but cant find that has the 6500's for 45.00 but I cant find it. I would really like to find some 7000's but my budget is a little weak for that.
    Any information you guys have would be great.
    Thanks

12. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I received an email from the guy tonight, told him I had told a couple people to check into him. I know he had a new in the box Abu 6000 for $35 or $37.

13. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I bought a Abu garcia 6000 C syncro for 30 bucks and a 6500 also for around 30 bucks with some boat rash. Thanks for the tips guys I am sure these will get plenty of use

14. foodsaver

foodsaver New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I bought a Abu garcia 6000 C syncro for 30 bucks and a 6500 also for around 30 bucks with some boat rash. Thanks for the tips guys I am sure these will get plenty of use.