Reel for Striper Fishing?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by CJ21, Mar 31, 2007.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am looking at getting me a Striper Set Up, I am wonder would a Abu 6500C3 holds enough line for Stripers? and a what rod would I need?

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think the 6500c3 would do you a good job. You probably could match that with a Ugly Stick Tiger Rod Med/ Hvy and have a dual set up for stripers and cats. Good Luck on your choice.:big_smile:

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ya I think so to, been also looking getting a Penn 8500ss spinning reel to go on my Berkely Big Game MH spinning rod. but I am not sure about another spinning reel yet.

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The 6500 is a great all around reel that will work for stripers or cats. You'll be happy with it. If you've already got one on a 10ft medium action rod or longer, you're already set up. But, don't tell the wife, you'll loose your excuse to get a new rod and reel:lol:

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am also looking at the Penn CV6000 spinning reel for that rod I have, I dont have a 10 foot casting rod yet, or 8 foot rod yet.

6. wigginsdano59

wigginsdano59 New Member

State:
    alabama
    try a shimano curado 300

7. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    The 6500 C3 is a good choice since they recently upgraded the drag & levelwind last year. A perfect affordable rod that matches well with the 6500C3 is the Tica 9' casting rod that is rated 2 to 6 oz.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thanks guys for the help.