Reel for my Ugly stik

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by C Hill, Jun 11, 2007.

1. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    I have an ugly stik cat m/h rod and i need a new reel for it. I was thinking about an bass pro catmaxx. Any suggestions?:smile2:

2. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    abu garcia 6000. can get it at walmart for 60bucks they are a workhorse. i also u cajun red 40# or berkley big game green 30#.

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have the abu garcia 6000 on my ugly cat rod. it is a killer setup.

4. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Abu 6000 at the very least. 7000 if you can afford it.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    A Abu 6000 or 6500C3.

6. BigCat72

BigCat72 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I have a catmaxx reel, have used it for about 5 years cant complain abot it, it has done a good job. But I would buy a abu garcia if I had a choice.

7. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    id go with an abu 6000, very stout little reel

8. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    im a big fan of the shakspear 30lb's cheap and a very good reel for the money.

9. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I like the Abu Garcia's myself.....I use the 7000iC3 for the big rods and I've got a new Blackcat from CC that I like throwing.....Haven't been fishing with it yet.....I prefer wide spool reels that hold alot of line....Dwight

10. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    So far, I think I'm gonna go with the abu 6000. I know a lot of people who use the 5000's and swear by them.

11. CantFish86

CantFish86 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    this might not be the best but works great for me i use a m/h ugly stick with a 733 zebco its not the BEST but havent had any problems and works so far

12. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    My brother has a zebco bill dance 733 gold he got at bass pro for $35 but i use it way more than he does. it works really good for big bass and catfish. It's on e of favorite combos to use.

p.s. I' kinda related to the person who started zebco. My aunt's brother-in-law's grandpa inventend the spincasting reel and started zebco:)

13. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Glad you started this thread i recently acquired another penn reel the peerless 9 , and even more recently a MH ugly cat have not actually had a chance to fish it yet but have been too the football field , lets just say i could very easily have a new favorite combo that will easily fit most of my heaviest needs in upstate new york it cast beatifully and i can put a great deal of bend in this rod , more than i will ever need around here i think LOL . And it passed my back yard drag test with flying colors i am spooled with PP 65# line and top shot of 20# mono and can double the rod over just like the in the ads . And for me thats major after all were are catfisherman are we not . This could be expected to happen any given day of chasing our favorite fish , his majesty MR. Whiskers .

14. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    I have a reel on it right now, but its an okuma deep sea trolling real and it is HUGE. Its hard to cast more than 20 yards and im a shore fisherman.

15. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    Whats your backyard drag test? I test my rods and reels by tyin the line onto the ball hitch of a truck

16. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    another good reel for you is the Bass Pro Shops Megacast, it is supposidly just like an abu 6000, and I have hered alot of good about them

17. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    My back yard drag test is simple get your self a scale you should haxe one anyway to keep you honest LOL , I tie off one end with string or whats handy and tie my line to the weighing end and pull to see where my line is and should release the recommended formula is 1/3 of the test rating if i am correct so my drag should release around 6 or 7 pounds with my twenty pound top shot of mono . And more often than not i will use this same set up(scale)to test the amount of leverage i get setting the hook from various angles to see where the most force can be applied to the fish with the least amount of stress on me . you'll be amazed what you will learn about your equipment before it hits the water . Totally off the subject of catfishing i did this test with a noodle rod and was astonished at the leverage i could apply with a 10 ft. rod it's truly incredible the pull a rod as limber as half cooked spaghetti
    can put on a salmon or steelhead with 4# line . These rods will bend clean down in the handle and form what looks like a big C . I have done this and had the tip and butt of the rod pointed at the same anchor point where my line is tied to the scale .

18. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    im a shakespear fan so i would have to say go with a shakespear but it your rod so you go ahead and do what ya want

19. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    LOL !!!!!!!! thats pretty good,.now my head hurts!

20. okiejc

okiejc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If you like to use the bait clicker, you may want to go with the abu 6500. Let us know what you end up with.