Reel for 7' Ugly Catfish Spinning fishing rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by ltbball, May 17, 2006.

1. ltbball

ltbball New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Greetings, 1st post. I just purchased a 7' ugly cat medium heavy (15-30 lbs) spinning rod. What reel would you suggest? Price range of $40 - $80. I have an Okuma CD90 that is on another rod that I can use for now, but it seems a little big for the rod. It was on a 10' surf rod. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I would go with the Penn 5500, 550 or maybe the 6500. They will cost around $80.00 used. Or look at the Daiwa "BG" series, they make the reel in several sizes and are a work horse.

3. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    Picking a reel is a personal prefference thing. but the catfish contection is the best place I have found for Catfish rigs and equipment.

http://catalog.catfishconnection.com/

They have good reels in your price range. Good luck and welcome to the BOC!
    You will get addicted...LOL I did!

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I would try it out first.It is in the proper line weight range for the Okuma.My CD-90,s are rated for 20 & 30 lb.line.I don;t know how you fish,but the combo makes a excellent boat rig for me.I put mine on 7 to 20 foot poles to match conditions.You can always go to a smaller Coronado as they are one fine reel.You cain;t drop back much or your rod will be awful stiff for the line.peewee-williams

5. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    i would put one of the new mitchell 306x s on it!sweet lookin reel $49.00

6. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I would put a shimano baitrunner 4500B on it if it was mine.

7. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i recomend a 209 penn you can get them used on ebay for next to nothing and the have a loud baitclicker and they hold 320 yds of 20lb tst i hope this helps i have this combo and itis a gooden

8. ltbball

ltbball New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I will hopefully try out the Okuma CD90 this Friday night if it ever quits raining here in Cincinnati. Does anyone know the difference in size between the Okuma CD65 and the CD90. I went to Bass Pro at lunch today and they were out of both the Okuma's. I really like the CD90 and was wondering if the CD65 would fit my rod better? Thanks for all the replies.

9. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Gotta go with Bluecatnut on this one. That Penn 209 is not the newest kid on the block, but he is still there. I've got four of them, use em, clean em, keep on fishin. They are not the fastest retrieve, but I don't try to horse my fish right in the boat either. My Abu has more ball bearings, probably smoother casting, faster retrieve, but its got ten more years to prove its as good as or better at taking the punishment those Penn's have.:0a20:
    Don

10. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Am I missing something?Are you fellows using the Penn 209,s on Spinning rods?I know that the first thread is asking about reels for a spinning rod.I will try most things.peewee-wiliams

11. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    I'd try the Okuma CD-50 on it.
    Will

12. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I would try a spinning reel for starters. I have that rod and It was bought as a combo, so the reel is a little lower than what your price range noted, but check out catfish connection I nkow they would have a few things that would fit your needs.

13. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I am partial to Shimano's. I don't remember when I bought my first one but I ain't bought any other brand since.

ST

14. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Please let us know on what you decide and how it works out.This is how we all learn.Thanks for sharing.peewee-williams

15. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    I use a Penn 209M on a 10ft Reflex spinning rod. I also have a Penn 105CS and its abit bulky but it will stop a train. I have got to put it though some extensive testing and pulling straight out with the drag set mildy tight i cant pull an inch off of it and it has a decent retreive speed matched with nice line capacity.

16. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    I just ordered a big water ugly rod from CC and went a head and got the shakesphere fre runner wil let you know how it works out . I have to say that the okumas bait runners are really fine.

17. ltbball

ltbball New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well, I am down to two choices. I am going to buy the Coronado CD65 or the Epixor EB65. Which do you prefer and why? Thanks for any and all replies.