reel cleaning

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by slikk03, May 5, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ok my reels need oild up, and if you dident know why my name is slikk ill tell you, im king at screwing stuff up, ive been that way since i was a kid i could never build legose even, lol, thats why my name is slikk, is there a way to lube them up without taking them apart, its got to be done, ther sounding a little ruff, they o0nly cast half as far as they used two, any advice, and no i wont even atempt triying it,lol, then theyd be trash

2. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    I like to take them apart and lay everything out on a white cloth. I'll spray the inside of the reel with WD40 to clean out the dirt and gunk. Then I take a clean cloth and wipe it out the best I can. Then I'll grease up all the gears and rub a light coat around the inside of the reel. Works for me. Depending on how dirty my gear gets I'll do that at least once a year. If a reel falls in the water or something like that I'll regrease it as well. I also try to make sure everything is tight on a pretty regular basis as well.

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    LOL,,,I hear ya.

You can look up your reel type and find somewhere to show where oil is needed and do that yourself. For the grease part ya might not wanna mess with cause you have to take some stuff apart.

Check your local bait shops. Most places have a " reel guy " or even do it themselves. The cost is very little to have one serviced...or at least here it's cheap.

-Jim-

4. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    if they have sand in them, you really need to take them apart and give'em a good cleaning.
    if you are like me and have trouble putting things back together.
    just do like me and take lots of pictures as you tear it down.LOL

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ILL CHECK MY LOCAL TACKLE STORES THE PROBLEM IS I DONT TRUST THE GUY WHO RUNS BOTH AROUND HERE , NOT TO FREINDLY,

6. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Depending on what kind of reel you have, it's really pretty simple. Just take apart only what you need to and like the guys said, take a pic if you need to. I'm sure there are guides on the internet with detailed pics too. Just go slow and you will be fine.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    There is some really good detailed articles in the member library that show you step by step what to do. Thats how I learned how to tear mine apart and clean, grease & oil them.

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    WELL I MIGHT TAKE THE CHANCE WHAT DO YOU USE ON THE GEARS OIL OR GREAS

9. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i to have a problem tearing my reels down but its cause i dont have flex in my thumbs.if your reel is making grinding noises like sand or dirt take it to a reel guy if its just gear on gear noise put several drops on the worm gear and tilt your reel from side to side as you wind the handle.repeat till the noise stops thats what i do.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Suggestion. Take the reel to a repair shop and ask permission to watch him clean one or more. This way you learn and know the reel is operational for this season. The fish are biting now. You need to be fishing not working on reels.

11. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    Look down in the Reel Repair and Upgrades they show how to do it. Taking pics help if you need a different view. Just make sure you do not oil the drag washers.

12. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I used a step by step that cats4uandme put up in the member library, most abu's are very similiar and it was pretty easy to manage. I used Quantum 'Hot Sauce' reel oil and grease on mine, and I have also used Ardent 'Reel Butter'. Both are good lubes.

Remember: "oil on bearings, grease on gears"

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    You could post in your local talk of boc and see if there is a member near you that could lend a hand.

14. Bassman13

Bassman13 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Slikk,

You have a pm.

Bassman13

15. buckethead

buckethead New Member

State:
    arkansas
    hey slikk

sounds like your bait shop guy belongs to BASS instead BOC ((LMAO))

I am like you I can tear them apart but not real good at getting them back together,

good luck

cliff

16. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Send them directly to Ambassadeur in Iowa for service. They do quality work for a reasonable fee, i think it's $19.95 per reel + parts if necessary.
    I do my own service on 5500/6500/6000, and also mechanical upgrades. The number one mistake and cause of most failures is over lubrication, the number two mistake is inappropriate tools. WD-40 should be avoided except as a cleaner.
    Trust your gut...if you don't trust yourself...hire someone else. If you feel fishy about the local service shops...send to Ambassadeur in Iowa. Their repair form is printable from their website, and they have always been very friendly with me.