Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
7,182 Posts
Mostly I have it done for me, I had an old Penn that I tried to clean up and couldn't figure out how some parts went back in, so I haven't tried since. I have an old reel someone gave me that the anti reverse didn't work, I took that apart and was able to fix that. Mostly I let the experts because they know how to make the drags right.

· Registered
4,103 Posts
I always clean all my own,nessesity forced me to learn, as we didn't have anyone around who cleaned reels. Now I'm glad to know the inner workings of reels, it's come in more than handy when a reel starts acting up on the water,and also when being able to clean fix reels in between fishing trips etc. or just whenever they need it. I've saved some other folks fishing trips too working on reels at the shore, mostly simple fixes. I've also found some excellent deals on "broken" reels that were funtioning within minutes after I had time to tear them apart and remove whatever gunk and stuff was gumming up the works. It's not a nessasary skill, but a handy one. when you start do it somewhere quiet and well lit with a empty egg carton or something to put parts in as you take them off then you will know how it goes back together if you keep things in order. Handy tools would be screwdrivers,an exacto knife,reel oil and grease,and an assortment of tiny brushes etc from the hobby store, some spray or dip degreaser, and some old toothbrushes for bigger scrubbing. I like the hotsauce stuff made by quantum for oil and grease,and don't overlubricate. Overlubrication is how many reels get gummed up so fast when just a drop or two will do the job. Also there are websites with reel diagrams if you get totally lost.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.