Reel Catfishin

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by CatfishCarpenter, Jan 1, 2008.

1. CatfishCarpenter

CatfishCarpenter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    This spring I'm gonna try Reelfoot L. Anyone catfish there often? Wouldn't mind hookin' up with someone down there.

2. boogie

boogie New Member

State:
    east tennessee,maryville
    thats sounds like a great trip......i dont know anyone who has caught cats much there,but my old work/fishin buds go there every year and wear out the crappie,they stay at one of the fishing lodges with boat rentals.....i know they just love the lake. i may have to go with them this year ...

3. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC man, I can't say that I know much about reelfoot haven't fished it since I was a kid, but I am sure there is someone on here that will be able to put you in the right direction.

4. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I used to go there at least once a year for 3 or 4 days with my dad and grandfather. My great grandfather started going down there almost 100 years ago. Never caught many blues or flats, but the lake is loaded with channels up to 8# or so. You can drift the lower blue basin, but not much else because of all the underwater stumps. We usually used a trolling motor to come up to a group of trees/stumps and fish stink bait or cut bait at the base of the trees. It is a very unique lake and I'm sure you will have a good time.

5. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    hey just wondering if any of you are from the lexington area andif you are i need some tips for some mid summer cats on the local lake.

6. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I personally have never fished for catfish on Reelfoot but do know some people that have caught a ton of them there. Usually they catch big numbers of eating size fish but rarely anything really big. They like to fish the ditches that run throughout the lake(old creeks I guess) as well as big piles of logs and stuff. You will find the deepest water in Lower Blue Basin but it is only about 18' deep that I have found. Good luck it is a beautiful place to be fishing even if you don't catch any. YOu just have to go very slow because stumps are EVERYWHERE.

7. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think the water level was real low last summer/fall, and I'm not sure if the rains have helped yet. Something about a tournament and larger boats not being able to launch if I'm not mistaking.

8. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    sorry if i am hijacking the thread here... but i am thinking of going down to reelfoot in the spring and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on camping. From what i have seen it looks like most of the places just have RV sites.. is the state park the only option for more primitive camping? thanks.