Reel Capacity

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by BIG GEORGE, Aug 5, 2009.

1. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    There seems to be alot of threads goin on about reel capacity. How much line should I put on my reel. And on and on. All I'll add is this. Spinnin reels that I keep on my boat for guests have to be loaded to capacity in order for them to cast properly. Conventional reals make no never mind. Only thing you are gonna get by loadin a conventional reel to capacity is the ability to keep fishin if ya loose line to snags and what not. Ya see when ya cast a conventional reel the line comes straight off of it down the rod and on its merry way. When ya cast a spinnin outfit it basically has to unwind from the spool and wind in the eyes of the rod. Therefore line capacity comes into play. I guess its a simple matter of physics. LOL! Heres somethin ya may wanna try when respoolin your conventional reels. Lets face it. The last many many yards of that line on the reel has never even seen the lite of day. Wind the line onto another reel and then use it to respool another reel. You are payin good money for your line. Get what ya can out of it. :wink:

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Couldn't put it any better then the way you stated it.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    George you not only good looking but you are smart also. Good idea. Thanks.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

More than just another pretty face. LOL!

5. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    andy , i think he was speaking of catfish rigs ............... anyway , that'll work george !!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile2:

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Rather than buying new line, I backspool my line on other reels for the next upcoming season of fishing or when needed. Like Big George said, payed for it, might as well use it. Good tip!

7. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    QUOTE- Spinnin reels that I keep on my boat for guests have to be loaded to capacity in order for them to cast properly.

True, your spool has to be full, when the line comes off the spool on a spinning reel it rubs the spool as it is released, which causes the line to slow down ,more and more as the line comes off the spool. The spinning reel loses distance from the increased friction on the spool as more line is released.

Quote- Conventional reals make no never mind. Only thing you are gonna get by loadin a conventional reel to capacity is the ability to keep fishin if ya loose line to snags and what not. Ya see when ya cast a conventional reel the line comes straight off of it down the rod and on its merry way.

False As stated above for the spinning reel , your line comes off the full spool, even though it comes straight off the spool, the more the line that comes off the spool slows the spool down resulting in shorter cast's.

Need Proof, take each reel with a full spool 1/8" from top spool. with a 2oz weight, cast each several times noting the distance.

Then with a half spool and repeat with 2oz noting the distance, you will find that both reels will loose about the same in casting distance when the line is removed.

Why? Lets look at the casting reel. the spool when full is larger in diameter and the force of the weight will pull more line off at a faster rate of speed, as it get smaller in diameter it takes more force to pull the same amount of line off the spool, The spool of line is smaller at this time and is spinning twice as fast and releasing half the line, thus slowing it down and losing distance.( same go's for spinning)

it is a simple matter of physics:wink:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    :wink:

Guess that's why they say in the owner's manual to fill your spool within 1/8" of the lip on the reel spool! That's correct Flamekeeper!!! Less line = more drag while casting!! Doesn't matter if it's a spinning or casting reel/ with or without a line guide.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    true true kenny but still he does have a good point with taking the end of the line on one reel and tieing it to the spool of another so the last yard on one reel becomes the first on another. like he said there is usually as mutch unused line on a reel or more as there is used. only bad thing is you may have to take it out and cast it a few times to get the memory out of it because what will now be on top was once on the bottom were the diameter of the spool was smaller and it had the pressure of the rest of the line compacting it. but it Should be as good as new.

10. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    It is a good thing to do, and I used to do that very thing. But what I do now is remove 5/8 to 3/4 line from my reel and tie the new line to it with a blood knot, and respool. If a fish gets that far down into my reel I'll be haveing one of the best times in my life:smile2::smile2: