Reel bearings

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by boliver, Jan 16, 2007.

1. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    i have an abu 10000 with bushings. does anyone know if they can be replaced with bearings and what size bearings it takes? thanks
    boliver

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN

3. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I don't think the bearings out of a 7000c3 would fit in a 7000c or b model ... what friends of mine have done around here is to take the bushings out of the reels and take them to a local bearing manufacturer so that they could mic(measure) and match them with one of their stock bearings. they sell them for like $3 and what you can do is look on yahoo yellow pages and type in the name of your city that you live in and then click continue and then type in "bearing" in the search box and that'll bring up any bearing companies in your area and you can call them and ask if they sell small race bearings about 1/4" in size ... if they do there's a good chance they'll have the size bearing that'd be a good replacement for those abu bearings. my buddy chris noll took his bushings over for a 7000b model and they matched them right up at allied bearing company in Sand Springs Oklahoma. not a bad way to upgrade a reel for $6 bux

4. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    thanks tiny that really helps there are several bearing co.'s here. i just never thought of taking the bushings out and taking them to them. how is your medical problems coming along. my brother and i are hoping to come and fish with you some time. boliver

5. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    All of the newer 7000 series reels take the 3X10X4 size bearings. The older pre 1980 7000 series reels won't. These reels have a 1/8 diameter spool shaft and they don't make a bearing to fit it. You can change the spool to the 3mm diameter shaft, then you can exchange the bushings in the reel for the bearings.