reel advice

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by GwillE, Aug 2, 2009.

1. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    I sold my ipod & a few other extra items so i can buy another combo came across a couple of okuma 300cl classic reels for sale online. I was thinking about buying them but couldnt find to much info on them and alot of mixed reviews. has anyone used these reels before? or brand? is it a good brand or generic? what would you guys reccomend?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  2. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    Dude,i love the $20 wal-mart combos,comes in different colors and everything!!:cool2: FOr the 4th of july i put a red reel on a blue pole ,it was sooo awesome!!:cool2:

3. brianthelion02

State:
    arizona
    :smile2::smile2: That should have got some attention!! I actually have three abu garcia 6000s and a 7000 that i really love!!Lotsa choices out there for sure!

4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Your a true fishermen i know that.. selling your stuff to buy cat equip.

5. AzHeadHunter

AzHeadHunter New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Yo, Gwillie

I got two 7000 Abu Garcia's and one 6000C that I really love. If your going to get a reel check out Catfish Connection or Mike Reel Repairs for specials. Abu Garcia has a $20 rebate on reel. I also like these reels because the can be modified to your likings and if it every breaks you can repairs just as easy.

Call me I can help out more if you want.

6. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I would have to say go with abu they are the best and a all around fishing reel

7. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    haha...I can't wait for Rob's response on this...he must be away from his computer or something cause there's no way he'd pass this little gem up :smile2:

8. brianthelion02

State:
    arizona
    :smile2::smile2: Knock Knock,where is Rob!!

9. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I have heard of okuma but not enough to offer any opinion. My beefiest set-up is a 6.5ft hvy action rod paired with a Captain's choice 6/0 reel (pic 1). It weighs 41oz. It is big and machined out of one big chunk of aluminium. So far it has not had it's capabilities tested although it's been out on many trips. My PB so far was caught on one of my secondary reels, a Shakespeare Tidewater TW30lb (pic 2). You can get these off the shelf at walmart for about $35. Less expensive but seems to be a decent reel so far.

Attached Files:

10. brianthelion02

State:
    arizona
    I actually found at sportsman's warehouse,shakespeare sturdy stick. They are $18 for regular eyes and $28 for roller tipped eyes!So far for the money ive been really impressed with these rods!:roll_eyes:

11. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Brian....what's the length? and are they medium heavy or heavy? Sounds like a good price...

12. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    the abu bait caster combo you can find at walmart is great for the price.. its 5600 series i believe. but what your talking about sounds ok to me, as far as selling things for fishing gear, been there done that! haha

13. brianthelion02

State:
    arizona
    6.6 feet long,heavy action,20-40 lb line.Tosses the 5 oz weights like a champ!I know they arent the quality of many but much much stronger than the wal-mart ones by a long ways!Feel really good with my abu's!!:cool2:

14. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    You get what you pay for .Buy what you like and can use

15. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    thanks for the info! what is your pb? what real did you to catch that one in your avatar?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  16. Canadiancatman

Canadiancatman New Member

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    I just bought and returned an Okuma Induron idx 400a baitcasting reel. It jammed up on the very first little 24" channel. got a Daiwa millionare classic 250 instead it was cheaper and looks to be pretty solid way more solid than the okuma we'll have to see how it holds up to huge channels and lake sturgeon. I do know that I wont buy another okuma :confused2:

17. Az Birddog

Az Birddog New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az.
    I just bought the tidewater reel and it seems pretty good. I haven't had the chance to try it but I think it can handle a good sized fish. I also had to buy a new Uglystik to put it on so my old Shimano 3500 doesn't get left out of the action.:wink:

18. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    ok, don't laugh...my pb for flathead is about 8lb. The fish in my avatar is a 103lb halibut from alaska...I go up every august (16 days and counting!). I forget the brand reel it was caught on but they sell it at BPS, about $269, althought they upgraded all their reels this year to avocets. I don't get too wrapped up on brand and size, though...my brother in law caught a 220lb halibut a few years ago on a medium action rod, 20lb test and a relatively small baitcester reel, a pretty blue one...not trying for a big halibut, but she took the bait anyway....here's a few vid captures of the fight on youtube...they're part 1 thru 5...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wara22RPCiM

19. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    whats up g. the $20 cat pole from walmart is great.buy 50# spider wire from there to and you have a good pole 4 any of these waters in az. the best pole i got is a red ambassodor that some1 lost in bart a couple months ago. i put 130# tuff line on it.

20. brianthelion02

State:
    arizona
    Woohooo,hey there fellow $20 wal-mart pole user!!Did you see my post about puttin a blue reel on a red pole and havin the coolest 4th of july set-up!!:cool2::cool2: